First Episode of Salvation & Catastrophe: The Greek-Turkish War 1919-1923

Started by KTravlos, 29 October 2018, 06:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KTravlos

I have uploaded the first episode of my new YouTube series, Salvation & Catastrophe: The Greek-Turkish War 1919-1923. In this series I will cover the events leading to, during, and the aftermath of the Greek-Turkish War of 1919-1923 on a monthly basis, as they happened 100 years ago. You can see the October 1918 episode by clicking here

https://youtu.be/_d0_nii5hzs

I also set up a twitter account dedicated to it. You can find the handle in the description. Enjoy! If you like it, share, subscribe, and like!

With Respect
Konstantinos

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

KTravlos

I did make a script and used the Teleprompter software from Imaginary Sense to follow it. But I am not happy with my performance. I think scripts take away some of my spontaneity. Next time I will use a keywords approach rather than fully script the episode and see how it works.

Thanks for watching and liking everyone! 

paulr

ML he mentioned the Teleprompter software at the end of the video

Was your attention wandering towards the end ;)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

lowlylowlycook

Off to a very nice start. 

Personally I find that a dialog or conversation is a more engaging way to present history but I think you did a fine job even with the prompter.

Ben Waterhouse

Very good  and fascinating opening episode. Well done old chap.
Arma Pacis Fulcra

KTravlos

The first special episode for Salvation and Catastrophe is up. I am doing this in order to keep the episodes under 20 minutes. This special episode covers the Ottoman Greeks 1908-1918.

https://youtu.be/7uKes2d7R64

I will be keep updating this thread with episodes as they come out.

With Respect
KTravlos

paulr

I'll have a good look at this later as I have both Greek and Ottoman ships for most of this period  :)

paulr

Another fascinating video  =D> =D> =D>

A window on a horrific period of history

KTravlos

New Episode! November 1918! Politics, Politics and even more Politics. Even has communists in it!

https://youtu.be/3s24gLyKWdo

Konstantinos Travlos, PhD

paulr

Another fascinating episode :)

Interesting to see how the Entente powers repeatedly 'ignored' the terms of the Armistice of Mudros

One thing I have found frustrating in researching the Ottomans in WWI and earlier is the way that a lot of the people involved are know by a number of different names
e.g Ismet Pasha - Inonu, Kazim Pasha - Karabekihr

My understanding is that terms like Pasha and Bey are titles rather than names but the name changes are confusing for a non-Turkish speaker. Are there particular reasons for these?

KTravlos

Bey, Pasha etc are indeed titles. Bey means more or less sir, Pasha means General or High Minister, and Efendi means lord (but not with the same gravitas as in the UK).

The problem is simple. The Muslim populations of the Ottoman Empire did not use surnames, unlike their Christians and Jewish fellow subjects that started doing so earlier. Surnames for the population of the Turkish Republic became required in 1934, when everyone had to pick a surname (and the Christians and Jews had to turkify their surnames). Those Muslims born in the Balkans tended to have surnames, as did any that were citizens of a Balkan State before 1934.

This means that most actors in the pre-1934 period are known in pre-1934 accounts by their titles etc, but post-1934 written accounts will use the surnames, not always pointing out the pre-post use. A similar problem are greek pre-1923 sources that use the old calendar.

My advice is to keep lists :p