Favourite poses

Started by fsn, 28 October 2018, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 4 poses do you prefer for horse and musket figures? (See diagram below)

Order
Shoulder
Support arms
Port
Charge
Slope
Trail
Ready (standing)
Present (standing)
Ready (kneeling)
Present (kneeling)
Prone
Prone (firing)
Loading (ramrod in muzzle)
Other

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 30 October 2018, 04:20:54 PM
I have to be honest, I hate figures with bayonets because the buggers have a nasty habit of snapping off.

I must admit I do like to see a line of gleaming bayonets. I imagine the larger the scale the more that problem will occur and have heard that, in at least one of the plastic ranges, bayonets can be delicate.  With most of my current collection being Peter Pig (quite robust wee guys) and Pendraken, I've been quite lucky in that respect. Mind you, I once had a broken musket with a Pendraken figure but to be fair, the base it was on fell from table height and hit a hard floor! In fact, the more I think about it, if Pendraken had omitted bayonets in their Prussian SYW range (and some codes do), I may not have purchased them (Frederick ordered bayonets to be fixed at all times) and so, may not have encountered and enjoyed the fun of this forum  (Hey! Who groaned there at the back?).   :)
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Leon - cut off all Bayonets immediately, we may then get rid of one of the most disruptive members ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Nick the Lemming

I like to have marching-type poses and skirmishing type poses, but the more of each type the better, rather than just one or two. The AWI and LOA ranges are great for that, while some others I've not bothered with because they're just too samey.

Leman

Oh well, that's uniforms for you, not to mention drill.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: Leman on 31 October 2018, 03:21:35 PM
Oh well, that's uniforms for you, not to mention drill.

I'm thinking more about the running poses etc, there's no drill synchronised running, and there's always some slight variance you can put in even with marching or firing poses, such as adding moustaches, heads cocked slightly differently, legs posed a little differently, etc. When they're all exactly the same figure, it looks like an army of clones.

Orcs

Quote from: Leman on 28 October 2018, 02:46:18 PM
Like a complete dick I took a guess at what the options meant, completed the questionnaire, submitted it and then discovered the diagram lower down the page. think this is going to make the exercise pretty pointless.

The Diagram did not show when I did it either, so I did exactly the same.  ;D
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ace of Spades

On bayonets... most troops in the old days would always have their bayonets fixed when in the field; both to impress and to be prepared for whatever could come their way. In a Confederate unit marching figures may well be a mix of troops with and without bayonets. They were supposed to have them but if you read original reports you see that many men were without. Partly due to the amount of different rifles  available and above all the fact that large amounts were picked up from the battlefields (often without the hard to find matching bayonets). But still, better to have them fixed on figures with the possibility to cut them off then without I'd say.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Russians / Soviets didn't have scabbards until after WW2, so always had them fixed. Note that reloading a muzzle-loader with a bayonet was both difficult and uncomfortable.

Ace of Spades

Quote from: ianrs54 on 01 November 2018, 02:53:05 PM
Note that reloading a muzzle-loader with a bayonet was both difficult and uncomfortable.

It's not that bad really and doesn't cost any more time than reloading without a bayonet. Believe me I've done it plenty of times with an average of three to four shots a minute with and without bayonet and while using ramrod. The gun is in exactly the same position when reloading with or without the bayonet. Even reloading in two or three ranks with bayonets fixed is not a problem at all as long as people are trained at what they are doing.
Like all things military; it's repetition that makes it go smooth. Train hard, fight easy...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Orcs

Here are some of my favourite poses for horse and musket period.  :d

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

Well, that's outrageous!!

The last two images are clearly Steampunk not Horse & Musket!

I blame modern education and Social Media!

Harrumph!!

Yours,

Horatio Blimp, Colonel (Rtd.)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Orcs

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 November 2018, 01:11:56 PM
Well, that's outrageous!!

The last two images are clearly Steampunk not Horse & Musket!

I blame modern education and Social Media!

Harrumph!!

Yours,

Horatio Blimp, Colonel (Rtd.)

I know but they were so nice I had to include them  ;)

fsn

Well that seems to have run its course.

Interesting I find that 25% chose a "marching" pose (slope or shoulder arms), 24% chose ready or charge, and 17% chose present (either kneeling or standing).

Seems that Pendraken get it basically right.  :)

I think that we still need some "beating the enemy with the musket held in a wild overhead swing" - but only for the League of Ausberg. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Quote from: fsn on 06 November 2018, 11:49:11 AM
I think that we still need some "beating the enemy with the musket held in a wild overhead swing" - but only for the League of Ausberg. 

Didnt know Leon had access to the Airfix designers of the 60's. From experience you keep the Rifle/Musket low when using the bayonet, to parry with it. Hitting people over the head is frowned on, due to potential damage.