Favourite poses

Started by fsn, 28 October 2018, 10:14:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which 4 poses do you prefer for horse and musket figures? (See diagram below)

Order
Shoulder
Support arms
Port
Charge
Slope
Trail
Ready (standing)
Present (standing)
Ready (kneeling)
Present (kneeling)
Prone
Prone (firing)
Loading (ramrod in muzzle)
Other

FierceKitty

Of course, with skirmishers the choice is different; maximum variety becomes the ideal.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Heedless Horseman

I have always preferred the 'Ready' pose...or similar 'advancing'. Firing/loading poses just look daft when a formed unit is  moving...but the 'ready' looks great for firing line, advancing or Square. Probably a hang up from the old days of Hinchcliffe 25mm pics in old wargame books! Somehow, I just cannot get away with the 'March Attack' pose that everyone loves...even though it is 'easier' in many ways.
I LOVED the 'Ready' poses in the old Peninsula range...must have given much hair tairing to the Pendraken staff a while back with requests...always accommodated! :)  Really should get back to painting the hordes...though eyes ain't what they were then.  :(
In other periods, the pose that I HATE is the running flat out...Penelope Pitstop, anybody?  :)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

John Cook

Shoulder/slope, for formed infantry, and marching rather than at attention.  Present standing/loading for open order skirmishers.   I dislike officers in a different stance - in other words, marching infantry should have marching officers and I prefer cavalry with sabres/lances shouldered and not a variety of poses like a bunch of red Indians!  

FierceKitty

Quote from: John Cook on 29 October 2018, 12:16:35 AM
Shoulder/slope, for formed infantry, and marching rather than at attention.  Present standing/loading for open order skirmishers.   I dislike officers in a different stance - in other words, marching infantry should have marching officers and I prefer cavalry with sabres/lances shouldered and not a variety of poses like a bunch of red Indians!  

I'd like to see hussars looking rather wilder, though I agree about cuirassiers and dragoons in uniform poses (very glad our worthy hosts were willing to arrange cuirassiers charging with sword pointing forward for me, however; they really look the cat's pajamas that way).

Dr Dave

The slope for me. Line infantry advancing behind a skirmish screen would be at the slope until they reached the point of assaulting the enemy - which is actually fleeting in most games.

What I do hate:
Guard units at march attack
Cuirassiers charging
         both should all be sat at the rear in reserve

Infantry packs that say "marching" and you get a mix of right and left shoulder shift AND figures marching out of step!  >:(

paulr

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 October 2018, 04:35:30 AM
I'd like to see hussars looking rather wilder, though I agree about cuirassiers and dragoons in uniform poses (very glad our worthy hosts were willing to arrange cuirassiers charging with sword pointing forward for me, however; they really look the cat's pajamas that way).

I didn't think you wore pajamas ;) ;D
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

Apologies, Westmarcher. Was looking at the wrong picture or just typing the wrong thing.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ace of Spades

Quote from: Dr Dave on 29 October 2018, 06:20:49 AM

Infantry packs that say "marching" and you get a mix of right and left shoulder shift AND figures marching out of step! 

Got a point there; variations within a pose are very welcome for the overall look but they should at least be in step and handle weapons in the same manner.
I'm just working on some ACW figures right now and I fear I'll need to sort them accordingly losing the 'campaign look'...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Quote from: paulr on 29 October 2018, 06:41:19 AM
I didn't think you wore pajamas ;) ;D

...and therefore they are in crisp, pristine, hospital-starched condition! I admit I'm not sure why your cuirassiers go into action wearing pajamas, but it's your choice, no doubt.

Westmarcher

Quote from: fsn on 29 October 2018, 08:03:16 AM
Apologies, Westmarcher. Was looking at the wrong picture or just typing the wrong thing.

No worries (might be a case of early onset old codger-itis, though  :-\ )

Quote from: John Cook on 29 October 2018, 12:16:35 AM
and I prefer cavalry with sabres/lances shouldered and not a variety of poses like a bunch of red Indians! 

Know what you mean (although I don't mind sabres drawn in other poses too much provided they are not flaying about too much) Take, for example, the commonly found mounted cavalry figure aiming his carbine to the side, ready to shoot the trooper to his left.  :o  How can you base these in a line? Sometimes it seems manufacturers are not quite sure what their market is - boys who play with toy soldiers OR grown-ups who play war-games with .... er ... toy soldiers.  :-[
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Ace of Spades

Quote from: FierceKitty on 29 October 2018, 09:46:10 AM
...and therefore they are in crisp, pristine, hospital-starched condition! I admit I'm not sure why your cuirassiers go into action wearing pajamas, but it's your choice, no doubt.

Hmmm...cuirassiers going into action in pajamas should have theirs very, very well starched I suppose for them to count as cuirassiers...

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

29 October 2018, 12:28:37 PM #26 Last Edit: 29 October 2018, 01:13:15 PM by Westmarcher
Plus, helmets should be well polished ... after all, they'll want to look their best if there is a breakthrough.  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Dr Dave

Quote from: Ace of Spades on 29 October 2018, 09:03:52 AM
Got a point there; variations within a pose are very welcome for the overall look but they should at least be in step and handle weapons in the same manner.
I'm just working on some ACW figures right now and I fear I'll need to sort them accordingly losing the 'campaign look'...

There is a well known manufacturer and pretty much all of their marching figures are "out of step". For some nations I'd like that look. But the idea of having the Grenadier Guards advancing by the left - or right - shuffle is really daft. A bit like the the bayonets on and off. It's either one or the other. There never has been an order "fix your bayonet if you'd like to - no pressure". What some people consider as a campaign look is actually just plain unrealistic.

Leman

I have to be honest, I hate figures with bayonets because the buggers have a nasty habit of snapping off. Furthermore I've only ever come across one set of rules which has a modifier for bayonets being fixed or not (Johnny Reb) and I don't play them any more as they are too slow to give an enjoyable game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Dr Dave

Quote from: Leman on 30 October 2018, 04:20:54 PM
I have to be honest, I hate figures with bayonets because the buggers have a nasty habit of snapping off. Furthermore I've only ever come across one set of rules which has a modifier for bayonets being fixed or not (Johnny Reb) and I don't play them any more as they are too slow to give an enjoyable game.

Good point - how many Napoleonic line infantry figures come without the bayonet fixed?