The Great Game - Russian Expansion in the (south-) East

Started by Cavillarius, 25 October 2018, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavillarius

25 October 2018, 09:51:22 AM Last Edit: 25 October 2018, 09:56:22 AM by Cavillarius
Pendraken caters for quite a few aspects of the so-called Great Game https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Game which has fascinated me for years.

The main reason for the First and Second Afghan Wars, for example, was the fear of a Russian Empire getting ever closer to the northern borders of British India. Although quite a few books have been written on the British side of things (Hopkirk etc.), there is precious little information on the Russian conquest of Central Asia.
Or at least, I'm having trouble finding it....  ;D

What I'd like at some point, after finishing my 2nd Afghan War project, is to start a Russian equivalent on the steppes. I might even get into alternative history and have the Russians face the British in Afghanistan or beyond.

What I'm looking for is more literature on Russian expansion, particularly in the second half of the 19th century, and some information on uniforms. Do any of you know: should/could I use those from the Crimean War, the Turko-Russian War or even the Russian-Japanese War?

For natives I'm probably OK with Afghans and some extra's from Mongols etc.
Any suggestions are welcome!

Leman

Crimean Russians won't work for the 1880s. The Russo-Turkish War Russians in furashka would work. Not sure about the RJW Russians as I am not sure when that style of uniform with peak less cap was introduced. As for cavalry and artillery - no idea.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Shedman

What Leman says - use the 1877 Range with the vast majority of the troops in furashka as the kepi was unpopular due to nationalism.

There is little or nothing of use in the Crimean War or RJW ranges. Although the Crimean Russians in flat caps can be used in the RJW oddly enough

And, as an aside, I am getting some  Afghan Regulars from the 2nd Afghan War range painted up as East Siberians for my RJW army

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Cavillarius

Thanks! Next question would be: do those furashkas come with the neck flap as well?

Shedman

Quote from: Cavillarius on 26 October 2018, 09:20:01 AM
Thanks! Next question would be: do those furashkas come with the neck flap as well?

No they don't

This shows RT2 Russian foot, furashka & RT4 Russian foot command - I make no apologies for my painting