Stow on the Wold 1646

Started by paulr, 23 October 2018, 08:12:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

Leman

Very well put together armies and game.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Westmarcher

Certainly a good looking game.  :-bd

By many accounts, TtS and it's ECW variant are very enjoyable games. Although I'm still not ready for squares (still reminiscent of the gridded board of chess .... getting away from which, and on to an 'open table,' was one of the attractions of wargaming for me) .... I'm slowly being seduced .... and at this rate will probably end up owning a copy of FKaP by this time next year!  ;D
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Our group had very similar reservations about squares but the rules work so well that they don't impinge on the game

FKaP definitely give enjoyable games with great period feel :)

As I said on my report on Montgomery you know the rules work if you enjoy a game while getting a damn good thrashing. Both sets of Royalist commanders enjoyed the game, if not the results ;)

You know you want to...
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

lowlylowlycook

This is almost the Platonic ideal of wargaming.

Very nice.

fred.

Another great looking game Paul, good stuff.

Quote from: Westmarcher on 23 October 2018, 10:04:23 PM
By many accounts, TtS and it's ECW variant are very enjoyable games. Although I'm still not ready for squares (still reminiscent of the gridded board of chess .... getting away from which, and on to an 'open table,' was one of the attractions of wargaming for me) .... I'm slowly being seduced .... and at this rate will probably end up owning a copy of FKaP by this time next year!  ;D

Our group really enjoys FKaP it cracks along as a game you get through plenty of turns, there is enough Command friction without it dominating, the grid just speeds things up, its not restrictive.

We've liked the grid and command system that much we have applied it to Sci fi as well.

Quote from: d_Guy on 23 October 2018, 04:09:15 PM
Just noticed the suit markers on your chits - what a great idea!
I noticed this, at the second time of looking, I did wonder what the extra graphics where at first. Is this for a reason? We have been using mini playing cards (6 packs for under £2) and I have split them to be red for one side and black for the other. I don't think suits matter in FKaP, unless I have missed something.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

d_Guy

Hi Fred,

No, the suits are not at all required. They do give another data stream that could be used in scenarios and special rules (if one had a mind to tinker  :) )
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Suits are used in the terrain placement system in the rules, page 27

We will mainly be playing scenarios but it seemed sensible to include them on the chits in case we wanted to try the terrain placement system
Your mini playing cards have them built in ;)

Quote from: fred. on 24 October 2018, 07:44:46 PM
Our group really enjoys FKaP it cracks along as a game you get through plenty of turns, there is enough Command friction without it dominating, the grid just speeds things up, its not restrictive.
Seconded :)

d_Guy

For me random placement of terrain would fall under tinkering.  :D
Completely forgot about that section as I don't play with other humans.  :(
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

fred.

I'd totally missed the random terrain rules. One of our group has the whole set of partisan press ECW scenario books, so we have been using those.

The mini cards do indeed have suits built in, but as I have split them into two decks based on colour, this isn't so useful!

Some games do use matching cards to trigger special events. In Dracula's America (where cards are used for iniatitve and player order) a pair of cards triggers a special event. Not sure that this can apply to FKaP as players don't play cards at the same time, but it is a useful way of triggering rare events.

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Quote from: fred. on 25 October 2018, 07:53:48 AM
... One of our group has the whole set of partisan press ECW scenario books, so we have been using those...

You're definitely fortunate :)

Is it just me or is there no way to order the books from their website :-/

pierre the shy

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

fred.

Quote from: paulr on 25 October 2018, 09:01:14 AM
You're definitely fortunate :)

Yes! But the sheer choice can be quite overwhelming. What has surprised me is the number of cavalry centric battles in them.