compatibility 1812 and 1809 Napoleonic ranges

Started by grahambeyrout, 18 October 2018, 08:57:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grahambeyrout

Inspired by the new Not- Kickstarter additions to the 1809 range, I  got me thinking about the existing 1809 Austrian range. Here the line infantry have the crested helmets which seem to be invariably shown in all modern illustrations of the campaign. However reading more deeply, I have come across suggestions that some units would have been issued with the shakos. I am fairly convinced, at least enough to want a few shako equipped Austrian units in my 1809 army. Of course I could easily get these from the 1812 range, but are the ranges compatible in size/bulk/stance with each other?. Any advice welcome !

Zippee

Hi,
I'm not certain on compatibility but they are by different sculptors and separated by several years I believe.

As for Austrian shakos, the current rule of thumb is that for 1809 the shako was issued to Hungarian regiments first and whilst we cannot rule out the possibility that some German or Italian regiments received shakos in time for the campaign it is considered unlikely. The range was constructed with this in mind. Germans in helmets, Hungarians in shako.

It would be very nice at some point to see the addition of Germans in shako and Hungarians in helmet as that would really expand the operational range of the Austrian range. And would be a fairly minor conversion.

Hope that helps somewhat

Leon

They match up really well, same size dollies and similar sculpting style.  The cavalry riders are maybe a bit more noticeable than the foot, slightly chunkier proportions.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

WeeWars

Quote from: Leon on 18 October 2018, 10:39:00 AM
They match up really well, same size dollies and similar sculpting style.

That's the first time I've been made aware of that in all these years. The compatibility issue has come up a number of times. The "image coming soon!" pic has been the only 1812 point of reference for as long as I can remember. Is there a link we can follow to see the figures side by side? I have many compatibility photos on my site but I don't have any of the 1812 range. If they really are compatible then I'm ready to purchase some Austrian cuirassiers!
← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

It's not a great image but this is the 1812 Polish with an 1809 Frenchman in the middle:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!