Theft.

Started by Lord Kermit of Birkenhead, 17 October 2018, 08:48:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

The below is copied from thewargamesforum : -

"URGENT APPEAL FOR HELP

In 2016, the members of 1066 Wargaming Club bought over 1000 miniature Saxons and Normans. Over several months an army of volunteers painstakingly built and painted all of these miniature soldiers in order to enact the Battle of Hastings as a huge boardgame. Since then, more volunteers from the club have taken this massive game to different boardgaming events and historic events; you may have seen it at Battle Abbey during their annual Battle of Hastings weekend, or at the Wyntercon gaming convention.

Sometime during the night between Saturday 13 October 2018 and Sunday 14 October 2018 this massive army was stolen from Battle Abbey. 1066 Wargaming Club members had been planning to spend both days of the historic event running games for the public, and showing our hobby to a wider audience.

Of course this huge number of miniature soldiers has great significance to 1066 Wargaming Club because we have all spent a long, long time making this game the massive spectacle that it was.

The miniatures are Saxon & Norman Infantry, Archers, & Knights, mostly from Gripping Beast and Conquest Games, and are plastic minis, based in groups on wooden bases. They are all painted, but as they were painted by a large number of volunteers, the paint-jobs are not all identical.

If anyone has any information that might lead to us getting our game back, please let us know. Also, please share this post to any groups you know, so that we can cover as much ground as possible, or at least make it hard for any thieves to sell this game.

Thanks in advance. 😞 😞 😞"

https://www.facebook.com/56854270016768 ... 375078519/

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Womble67

Very sad indeed I do hope they managed to get them back

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Same here, Ian.

That sort of thing really makes me cross.

Hope you have luck in getting them back !!

Cheers - Phil

Not my lot fortunately, the poster on that forum asked members to spread the word. I'd keep an eye on ebay just in caes the arseholes who took em are stupid enough to try and sell em. Likewise copy it into any populous forums you may be a member of.

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fsn

1000 25/28mm figures on bases is not a small amount to be making off with.

That points to premeditation IMHO.

Hope they get caught.   >:(

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Maenoferren

Yeah I have seen this elsewhere... totally pants!
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

Glorfindel

>>That points to premeditation IMHO.

It also points to someone who knows the value of gaming figures - one of our own.

I've been burgled a couple of times in the past but, thank god, no-one nicked
any figures (I imagine they either didn't understand the value or knew they would
find it much harder to realise that value in comparison to TVs / phones etc).

Nightmare.

Leman

When the buggers do get caught at least it will be one in the eye for them.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Sunray

Quote from: Leman on 17 October 2018, 05:02:38 PM
When the buggers do get caught at least it will be one in the eye for them.

Bit too Kafkaesque this early in the morning.  ;)

Seriously, keep an eye at Bring & buy sales on the fringe of shows, and the penny packet type mixed figures one sees on ebay. 

Terry37

Sorry to read this, and I feel not representative of our hobby.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams