Wow Previously Unseen Footage lol

Started by Heedless Horseman, 17 October 2018, 12:05:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heedless Horseman

While idly channel hopping, I chanced on 'Wings Of War' on the Battle Of Britain. Yes, we've all seen the Spanish Civil War Heinkels in BoB before...BUT THEN there was the real eye opener!  8)
What fantastic investigative journalism has uncovered previously unseen footage of a U.S B17 dropping bombs on LONDON? My God! This could destroy the 'Special Relationship' for ever! Was there a secret arms deal? Was there a Staffel of Neo-Nazis in the Luftwaffe? Was the U.S.A playing a double game?  :o  :o  :o

(Actually someone could use this for gaming...if they could be bothered!)    ;)

I switched off.  =)
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

fsn

17 October 2018, 10:10:59 AM #1 Last Edit: 17 October 2018, 11:26:00 AM by fsn
General McNair may have disagreed with that assessment.*

*For Techno: McNair was the highest ranking US officer killed during WWII. He was killed in Normandy when the 8th USAAF dropped a bomb on him.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

If it shows up green, it's British and the Germans duck.

If it shows up grey, it's German and the British duck.

If it shows up white, it's American ... and EVERYONE ducks!!

;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno

In a (sort of) similar vein. (Or maybe the complete opposite.)

I saw what Peter (Lord of the rings) Jackson 'had done' with some black and white footage from the Great War, by turning a lot of film 'clips' into a colour 'montage', last night.
To me, it was just astonishing. :o :o

Cheers - Phil

petercooman

Quote from: Techno on 17 October 2018, 12:49:41 PM
In a (sort of) similar vein. (Or maybe the complete opposite.)

I saw what Peter (Lord of the rings) Jackson 'had done' with some black and white footage from the Great War, by turning a lot of film 'clips' into a colour 'montage', last night.
To me, it was just astonishing. :o :o

Cheers - Phil

Yes, saw that as well!

He's a bit of a miniature buff you know!

http://volomir.com/en/peter-jacksons-massive-diorama-designed-by-the-perry-brothers/

Techno

I knew that Mr Jackson got on very well with the 'Twins'.....But I'd never seen that 'battlefield', Peter.

I loved it.....So big, someone was actually able to sit on the table !!!!!!  :o :o :o :o

Cheers - Phil

Glorfindel

>>I saw what Peter (Lord of the rings) Jackson 'had done' with some black and white footage from the Great War, by turning a lot of film 'clips' into a colour 'montage', last night.
>>To me, it was just astonishing.

Completely agree.    I just couldn't believe the impact of the change from black & white to colour - a truly jaw dropping moment.
Something that we are used to seeing at a distance through grainy b&w footage was brought into today.   Amazing.

Phil

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

paulr

Quote from: petercooman on 17 October 2018, 01:16:05 PM
Yes, saw that as well!

He's a bit of a miniature buff you know!

http://volomir.com/en/peter-jacksons-massive-diorama-designed-by-the-perry-brothers/

I did know that ;)

In the third picture I'm the one facing the camera near the mannequins :)

This thread tells the tale of my modest involvement in the project http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,11412.285.html

One of Pierre the Shy & my wargaming friends was heavily involved in the research for this and several other of Peter's WWI projects

One of the other big things they have done is smooth out the motion by computer generating intermediate frames
A lot of the original footage was filmed at roughly 10 frames per second so looks jerky when played at 24 frames per second even when slowed down
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!