Montgomery 1644

Started by paulr, 15 October 2018, 09:56:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulr

Four of our regular group christened my newly painted ECW forces using the Montgomery scenario from the FKaP rule book. Two of the group decided they wanted to be Royalist mainly due to family history, this left Pierre the Shy and I as Parliamentarians.

The forces arrayed for battle with the Royalists on the left. I need to get some smaller markers for ammunition and will probably go with grey rather than black.

The Royalist horse advanced rapidly and crashed into their opponents destroying two of the four regiments that opposed them!

But all was not lost because the foraging Parliamentary horse had returned and now would be able to manoeuvre into the Royalist rear. The lead regiment drew a 2 to activate and failed to turn as required by Colonel Brereton. He redrew the card scoring a 1! (This was to become a trend for the Parliamentarians with very few brigades completing their turns.)

The remaining Parliamentary horse counter attacked, Sir John Meldrum had to promptly join his sole remaining regiment of horse as yet another Parliamentary regiment was destroyed. The three victorious Royalist horse regiments pursued off table.

Meanwhile on the other flank the Royalist advance on the Parliamentary foot on the hill had continued slowly after a brief affair of Forlorn Hopes. Colonel Mark Trevor managed to bring his regiment of horse under control and returned directly behind the left of the Parliamentary foot on the hill. On their second activation they slammed into the rear of Colonel Rugely's regiment of foot and swept all before them. This effort had blown Colonel Trevor's regiment of horse.

The presence of horse on his flank forced Colonel Booth's regiment of foot to turn but this exposed their other flank to the now rapidly advancing Royalist foot.

Back on the Parliamentary left the first of the returning forager regiments of horse had been caught in the flank but managed to survive. They now had managed to turn and charged Vaughn's blown regiment. Expending a dash marker and firing their pistols when amongst the enemy gave them five chances to hit!

Four 1s and a 2!!!! As they were already disordered they needed 9 or 10 to hit.

Back on the Parliamentary right the foot were heavily engaged on the hill. Colonel Booth's regiment of foot had one of the rare pieces of Parliamentary good fortune. Hit in the flank by the blown Royalist horse they were hit three times but managed to save two. (The Royalist horse had activated on a 9 to get into position to charge so we thought we were fairly safe for another turn, no they drew the required 10 to activate again!)

The Parliamentary foot managed to withdraw to the back of the hill but it only delayed the by now inevitable defeat.

The final score made sorry reading for the Parliamentarians. They had lost all 13 victory coins while the Royalist still held 11 of their 14.

It was a very enjoyable game and despite the overwhelming final result there were several points where the battle could have taken a different turn.
We enjoyed it so much that we are going to play test the Stow on the Wold scenario next week.
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Looks like a pretty serious dust-up. Last time we did it the Sassenachs got thumped.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Steve J

Lovely looking game and figures 8)

petercooman

Westmarcher

Good report and great to see the wee guys looking so good on the wargames table!  :-bd
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

pierre the shy

Quote from: Steve J on 15 October 2018, 09:59:40 AM
Lovely looking game and figures 8)

Quote from: petercooman on 15 October 2018, 09:59:55 AM
Looks great!

Yes a very enjoyable game, even if the Parliamentary army didn't exactly perform very well (we did manage to destroy a couple of Royalist units early on).
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Norm

Lovely, I would put these as the nicest 10mm armies that I have seen painted up. A ton of work to get them to this point, but so worthwhile.

Terry37

Absolutely EXCELLENT! Greta looking game and figures!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

Nice to see your lovely figures in action. I must say your grid was the most unobtrusive that I have seen.
Thanks for the report and pics.
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

mollinary

Brilliant! Great to see them in action, I love the Victory medals, very clever. Before Simon brought out his metal ones I experimented with putting infantry flags on a 20mm square piece of mdf. Did a similar sort of job.  I also echo d'Guy's comments on your 'grid' (if you actually used one!?!  ;))
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Womble67

Excellent looking game

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Excellent report. Pity history did not repeat itself!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fred.

Very good looking game.

This is a good scenario, well worth a replay.

Is the grid represented by the small stones?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

paulr

Thanks all, I'm rather pleased with how it all looked :) :) :)

You know a set of rules works well when you really enjoy a game, despite getting a damn good thrashing

Well spotted Fred, we used small stones to mark out a 30cm grid and 'halved' that by eye, seemed to work well
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!