Chance Encounter - an Honours of War AAR

Started by Steve J, 11 September 2018, 03:18:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Westmarcher

Blocks? Sacrilege! Arrest the heretic!  :P

Actually, nice report and layout!   =D> :-bd   Still prefer miniatures of course, but it has to be said, the blocks are well done, having a certain "Kriegspiel" kind of attractiveness, and, as you alluded to, great for trying other rules and eras. I'm also a fan of green table cloths (I use one myself) - so much easier to clearly identify what's going on.
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Just like troops in the past have always been able to do!  :d
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Steve J

One of the big advantages of blocks is that, when you play an opponent, they cannot tell whether the unit are Guard Grenadiers or Freikorps, until you start shooting etc. IMHO it adds a nice level of fog of war to the game.

Terry37

Very interesting. I've used cardboard counters cut to element base sizes when I was first building my DBA/HOTT armies. Worked fine, but obviously I like it better with he figures. Your approach is much nicer than my cardboard cut-outs!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Steve J

I too have used cardboard cutouts to test rules etc, but the lack of height was an issue for me. IIRC my blocks are roughly the height of 10mm figures, with some large blocks that I use for pike.

Techno

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Dave Fielder

Are those 10mm MDF? Also I think you missed out the lace on the Grenadier cuffs ...
Romeo and Juliet is a Verona Crisis

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

QuoteAlso I think you missed out the lace on the Grenadier cuffs ...

As you're well aware Dave, the Grenadiers didn't have lace cuffs after the 1703 campaign in Holland ;) :D

FierceKitty

Except the third company of the First Household Regiment, before Captain Deveraux was involved in that unfortunate incident with the goat, which we do not speak of before strangers.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.