War on two fronts (tables)

Started by Sunray, 14 October 2018, 01:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunray

Its time to plan and prep the Sunray Boxing Day family war game.......again. 

This year, with the addition of some negative equity real estate from Leon (Arab village), I am  thinking of a two table game.
Its 1968/70s era bush war. Inspired by Biafra. 

1. A small seaport with a harbour, vital bridges and airfield

2. An inland town/administrative centre  on a key road junction - at least 3/4 bridges and an airstrip

Both are connected by jungle road corridor and a railway line- at least 5 moves separates the locations/table tops - or 1 airlift.
neither side is trained in jungle warfare.
The government side has logistics for one strategic airlift -  (2 x CH 46, 2x Huey,  1x DC3 , 2 x Bell 47,  1x Beechcraft T34 COIN -quandary is which front/ table to reinforce).

Rebels begin war with 1 x A26 Invader COIN mode. 2 x HA-1112 Buchon, 1x JU52 , a Wessex and a Huey

Over  Boxing Day lunch players roll dice to judge success of overseas weapons procurement - The Government (originally supplied by UK)  have to try Warsaw Pack and are in the market for Mi15s,  Delfin COIN and  PT-76 tanks to supplement British Armoured cars and Panhard 90s that they began the war with.  Egypt may sell them a Centurion !     

The rebels have an innovative Research & development factory which does amazing things to WW2 relics like RAM APCs and Italian war surplus.   

There is a small Government navy (one Pendraken corvette, a gunboat  and a couple of landing craft = LCP and LCT.
The rebels have a civilian ferry, a number of  tramp steamers and 2 MTBs 

Has anyone tried anything like this?

Ithoriel

Nope ... but it sounds fun!

AAR (and pics if anyone remembers to take them) in the New Year please!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

petercooman

Quote from: Sunray on 14 October 2018, 01:31:29 PM

Has anyone tried anything like this?

No, my space is too limited for something like that! I always want to play campaign games, but never have the room to leave it standing for a few days.

Sunray

Understood Pete- I had that problem until the last of my kids emigrated.   :o

Now one of the spare rooms is my man cave.

Have you a local club that would run a campaign ?  

My son who usually heads up the opposition has asked for the regional town to have a bank. The vaults stuffed with gold (all worth an agreed value of victory points) - I see a "Kelly's Heroes" sub plot emerging.   I might add a prison camp for dissidents (shades of Wild Geese) and an arms dump/lightly manned Federal base to the port.  

Both locations are initially manned by Federal  Police Mobile Force (PMF) units - (A/P= 2/30) and lightly armed.
The rebels have the first move.   There is pressure for a quick blitz style victory as the Feds will gain logistical support as the game goes on.

Funny - as I paint up and base each side- you get attached to them.  I could happily play either side.  And for a bottle of Hennessy XO, might even defect to the enemy after lunch.................. (Mercs....did I mention mercs?)

fred.

Sounds great. Both that you are planning it this far out, and that your family are all keen to pla
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

petercooman

Quote from: Sunray on 14 October 2018, 04:50:43 PM
Understood Pete- I had that problem until the last of my kids emigrated.   :o

Now one of the spare rooms is my man cave.

Have you a local club that would run a campaign ?  

No local club as far as i know. I play with a couple of collegues over at someones place who has a game room.

I have a spare room, but not serviceable for the moment (although i have already lined a wall with cabinets with wargaming stuff)

Steve J

Sounds fun and look forward to further developments.

Sunray

Quote from: fred. on 14 October 2018, 05:11:24 PM
Sounds great. Both that you are planning it this far out, and that your family are all keen to play

We evolved a modest 10mm role play as a precursor to the action - The 2016 action was "Flight of the Foxbat" with a modified Minifigs figure (arm with a pistol added) as a budget secret agent (Harry Palmer).  The family "got it" - it was a simple transition to BKC II.  The vindication was "beats Monopoly" .

Palmer might get an outing in this game as an arms dealer.  I keep telling Leon that a few Cold War civilians in trench coats will always find employment !  

Maenoferren

Sounds good to me...never tried anything like it though.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!