Ooer !

Started by Techno, 28 September 2018, 07:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Not sure what's going on with my broadband.

Instead of a pretty blue light on the router (or is it a hub?)...I keep getting a flashing orange/red one.....and then it doesn't work. (Though, as you can tell, it IS a the mo'.)

Hopeless service, last night....and very early this morning.....Fingers crossed that it's back working properly now.

Cheers - Phil. (Trying to follow the fault reporting pages on BT's website, WHEN you're able to use the intraweb.... is worse than trying to phone them..... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

So unbelievably slow.......Is it still 151 to report a fault to BT ?......I couldn't that anywhere on the site.)

Ithoriel

Down Detector reckons there are problems in Bangor, Cardiff and Haverfordwest for BT customers. Though nothing like the number of complaints in London, Manchester and Glasgow!
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

I live in the West of Scotland near Glasgow and the fact that I can post this demonstrates there are no problrugbjhv;n;,>|>| hbkl;n';;'l'; ..............
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: Ithoriel on 28 September 2018, 09:35:24 AM
Down Detector reckons there are problems in Bangor, Cardiff and Haverfordwest for BT customers. Though nothing like the number of complaints in London, Manchester and Glasgow!

Ah.....Well, we're not too distant from Haverford West.....Useful......Thanks for that, Mike. (As you can tell, it's still working properly, at the mo'.)

Quote from: Westmarcher on 28 September 2018, 10:07:46 AM
I live in the West of Scotland near Glasgow and the fact that I can post this demonstrates there are no problrugbjhv;n;,>|>| hbkl;n';;'l'; ..............

Westie.....You're an oik !!  ;D ;D ;D ;)

Cheers - Phil

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Orange - means it be loadin or tryin too, red it be dead, green standby, afore he load.

Hope Phil understands my attempt at archaic language.

Fault on BT, use the 150 and say broadband fault, loud and often. - Assume you is chatting at a foreigner.

ianS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno

Thanks, Ian...I may have to BT out.....I've now noticed how awful the 'noise' on the three phones that come off the extension wire is.

This could possibly be the cause of the broadband playing silly sods...Though I did have dial tone when I couldn't use the 'net'.

The fault will either be in the little junction box outside (This HAS happened before)........or the plug-in socket in the 'work' room.

Cheers - Phil

d_Guy

Phil,
It sounds like you are using DSL?

If so, I have had static noise appear on our phones (and DSL signal is down). The problem was in the telephone line junction box outside - moisture. Phone company had to repair. Of course, it doesn't rain in Wales so that might not be the issue.  ;)

Good luck!
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

Hi, Bill

Yes to DSL.......And I've now 'proved' the fault, to one of the two places I mentioned before.
The smart money is definitely on the little junction box on the wall outside the kitchen.....It gets wet 'lots' as the rain comes in from that direction most of the time.

Broadband was playing very silly sods again last night....and though working, the PC is horrendously slow, this morning.

Engineer booked for tomorrow afternoon, so I hope he'll be able to fix it swiftly......Any piccies on the forum are taking forever to download.

Hey Ho !!  ;)

Cheers - Phil

Wulf

Quote from: Techno on 30 September 2018, 09:36:40 AM
Broadband was playing very silly sods again last night....and though working, the PC is horrendously slow, this morning.
If the signal is too bad to keep up a reasonable speed, and drops too many packets, broadband will automatically reset to a lower speed with a higher tolerance for noise. Once fixed, it'll reset to normal speed - but won't do immediately unless the engineer forces it to.

Techno

I may go off, on a complete MEGA rant very soon.

My so called 'broadband' speed is far worse than the dial up speed when we first moved over here.

"I wanna go home...and leave the show."
Lemmey will get that.

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Techno

I forgot.

The phone line to the PC and main extension phone has been fixed*..(HUZZAH !!  :) :) :))....so there's not a horrendous crackling on the line, anymore...and the hub's not throwing hissy fits most of the day....
But.... apparently there's some sort of fault between us and the little local exchange (There's an extra 30volts there for some reason...which doesn't seem to make any difference, as far as I've noticed)....So another engineer will be out to try and sort that out.

So.....He'll probably cut us off completely for a short while..sometime in the next couple of days.

Cheers - Phil.

* I was sort of right with my own 'fault finding'....It wasn't the outside 'box'.....or the socket in the 'work room'.....It was the 4 or 6 wire cable between the two. Fortunately there was a 'spare pair' that Matey could use.