Near tactical Napoleonic Rules

Started by lentulus, 10 October 2018, 05:57:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lentulus

So looking at the 1809 allies, and my own interests which are more at the tactical level, can anyone recommend a set of rules which
* Are perfect for Napoleonics
* Works well with 10mm (natch) so no fiddling with individual figures.
* Goes to a low enough level that I can do things like form square, and have the results look like a square
* Does not use the warmaster-derived activation system.  I've done enough with that; I am OK with a DBA style pips system or something entirely new including written or chit-based orders.

What do folks recommend?

Zippee

For lower level tactical games I tend to use Lasalle (field a couple of brigades to a division) - has its issues but works.

Others will recommend general d'brigade (field a division+), it just wasn't for me.

For mid level I still like Le Feu Sacre (Corps+) but the new kid on the block is Genaral d'Armee, again not my cup of tea

Highre levels tend to not have the column-line-square representation you're looking for.

There are of course a myriad of Napoleomnic rules odl and new to pick from.

Nick the Lemming

Lasalle is my go to for lower level Napoleonics too (Bluecher and Fast Play Grand Armee for larger battles).

Dr Dave

Quote from: Zippee on 10 October 2018, 06:22:23 PM
Others will recommend general d'brigade (field a division+), it just wasn't for me.

Me neither. They have some good ideas, but then it's all cocked up by poor command and control added as an after thought plus some other oddities.

I'd suggest Black Powder.

toxicpixie

Shako (or Shako II as it now is).

But with six stands instead of three to a battalion so you can form square instead of rectangle!

You run @ a Corps, giving orders to Divisions and maneuvering Battalions.

Command is "draw arrow on map for Divisional Commander" and he moves along it on table with his troops around him; you have limited flexibility from there unless you get an ADC to them to change orders. For most armies "like supports like" so columns support columns, line supports line, they can't support the other formation; for "linear" armies only line supports line and columns just don't get flank/rear support; flexible armies column and line support each other no matter what.

It plays very fluidly and whilst there's always a few niggles depending on your reading of the period*, it gives the right feeling overall result quickly and easily.

*It also suffers from Arty Conliffe's usual "I have picked nation X as the super nation and they are AWESOME and the rest varying degrees of bad" for C&C, but even so it's not crippling :)
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting