Why do we celebrate stupidity?

Started by sunjester, 10 October 2018, 02:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

By "stupid" I am not referring to  the occasional charming idiocentric eccentricities displayed by the members of this fine forum (Yes Nobby, that includes you).

Warning: Middle-Ages rant coming here.....

I know the cult of "celebrity" has been around for a while now, feting worthless morons who are a waste of water and oxygen, just because they proved themselves to be a complete **** on Chelsea's Big Brother's Essex Real Wife or some such dross.

But the latest advert from Barclays Bank really pissed me off last night. A diphead woman on the bus thinks she has lost her credit card, so places a temporary freeze on it using the wonderful new app (and how long before that stops working properly?), only to unfreeze it 2 seconds later when she looks in her other pocket and finds the card. Well, thank you Barclays, now you are encouraging every half-witted arsehole to knee-jerk into panic every time they can't be arsed to take 10 seconds to check something properly, because it's OK, if you screw it up you can unscrew it straight away. Or perhaps that is just the only type of customer Barclays can attract?

....rant over.

Thank you gentlemen, that feels better.

fsn

Quote from: sunjester on 10 October 2018, 02:33:23 PM
By "stupid" I am not referring to  the occasional charming idiocentric eccentricities displayed by the members of this fine forum (Yes Nobby, that includes you).
Aw! Shucks.  :-[

I do see that there are an awful lot more solutions to problems that didn't used to exist.

My particular gripe is contactless payment. First we had a card. Then a card with a magnetic strip. Then a card with a chip and PIN so that naughty people couldn't just use your card ... and then contactless... which means anyone can use your card if they find it on the street.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Dr Dave

It is hard to get past the likely situation that 1/2 the population are of below average intelligence. As my father in law says: "they walk amongst us and they vote". Thankfully, where I work, repeated stupidity or errors are punished.

As we say : "To err is to invite retribution"

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

But if you dont make mistooks you aint workin
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

sunjester

Quote from: Dr Dave on 10 October 2018, 04:07:10 PM
It is hard to get past the likely situation that 1/2 the population are of below average intelligence. As my father in law says: "they walk amongst us and they vote".

That has always been my problem with democracy!

Raider4

My particular bête-noir of adverts are those that show men as hopeless, incapable of doing the simplest thing without female intervention.

Boots used to be particularly bad for this, but seem to have stopped recently.

Currently there's one for those digital listening devices that people have in their home, where the woman leaves her baby with a man for a whole day, while the digital assistant calls out regular reminders to tell him what to do. Because of course, fathers don't have the first idea about how to look after their offspring, do they?

Not that I'd buy one of these Orwellian devices, but it just really gets me irritated.

Cheers, M
--

Raider4

It is hard to get past the likely situation that 1/2 the population are of below average intelligence. As my father in law says: "they walk amongst us and they vote".

And seemingly walk around glued to the screen a foot in front of their eyes, rather than their surroundings. Hopefully Darwin-ism will weed these out of the gene pool.

paulr

Quote from: Raider4 on 10 October 2018, 05:27:24 PM
My particular bête-noir of adverts are those that show men as hopeless, incapable of doing the simplest thing without female intervention...

Imagine the fained outrage if similar adverts showed women as similarly "incompetent"

It is hard to get past the likely situation that 1/2 the population are of below average intelligence. As my father in law says: "they walk amongst us and they vote". ...

Quote from: Raider4 on 10 October 2018, 05:29:52 PM
And seemingly walk around glued to the screen a foot in front of their eyes, rather than their surroundings. Hopefully Darwin-ism will weed these out of the gene pool.

Unfortunately modern society seems focused on coddling these types from Darwinian impacts

Middle aged rant over ;)
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

SV52

Quote from: Raider4 on 10 October 2018, 05:29:52 PM

Absolutely with you there.  Pity that a high percentage do this while driving bringing the rest of us into the Darwin equation.
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Steve J

(
QuoteMy particular bête-noir of adverts are those that show men as hopeless, incapable of doing the simplest thing without female intervention.

All to do with advertising I'm afraid :(. We worked with one well known washing machine detergent manufacturer several years ago and the whole campaign was aimed at making women feel guilty if their kids didn't look perfect. The fact that research showed men did 50% of the washing, ironing, household chores etc didn't count for diddly squat >:(.

FierceKitty

Quote from: sunjester on 10 October 2018, 04:40:29 PM
That has always been my problem with democracy!

The whole world's, I fear.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Don't start me !!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

No wonder I prefer watching old DVD sets*......When I join any channel that 'does' adverts every 15 minutes...... to save my sanity, I set my watch to 'alarm' after 3 or 5 minutes and watch a BBC channel for that time....(Not if Eastenders is on).That usually works quite well. :D

I'm going through all the seasons of the 'X files' at the mo'......And for its daftness it's still OODLES better than watching the current batch of moronic adverts.

Cheers - I might go off on one.  ;)

FierceKitty

Share my distress that Scully's not going to be the next Bond?
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

Quote from: paulr on 10 October 2018, 09:45:34 PM
Middle aged rant over ;)

That's what comes of posting to the forum on my phone. Bloody new technology with ****ing predictive text (which can only spell in American). I'll stick to my old fashioned computer in future.