1809 Allies - Not-Kickstarter! - Pledging closed, Naps getting sculpted!

Started by Leon, 09 October 2018, 10:12:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinyTinTroops

Hi Leon

I've got as far as assembling and briefly reading through all the printed info I have. I had already started on Saxon flags for a painting job a few years ago but the customer decided to do his own and it wasn't completed, not looking forward to all those different border designs though. Similarly I have some work done on the Polish flags that will give me a start there too. Hesse-Darmstadt uses some of the Prussian layout so they aren't being done quite from scratch - Warsaw looks a bit of a nightmare but with a good deal of similarity and Wurtemberg is a total new design.

At the moment I'm only planning on doing the infantry - which is what I usually do for Pendraken Napoleonics, cavalry will have to wait until later if it is required.

Any help will, of course, be welcome - I'm no expert at researching flags but have often found that even the most commonly used references are not perfect (or even complete in some cases). Possibly better to communicate with my 'work' e-mail main AT tinytintroops DOT co DOT uk Andrew, at least until I'm able to share a plan.

It will be later this month when I'm able to give any detailed plan as I've got other bits in the queue before I can get to that stage.

Once I get a plan I'll share it here and see what discussion brings up. I'm not holding the purse strings so Leon will have the final say but, as I've done with other flag sheets already on sale, I'll try and give both good value for customers' money and a product that Pendraken can continue to sell.

Tony of TTT

Tony Hughes of Tiny Tin Troops

2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Leon

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 01 November 2018, 07:18:02 PM
Once I get a plan I'll share it here and see what discussion brings up. I'm not holding the purse strings so Leon will have the final say but, as I've done with other flag sheets already on sale, I'll try and give both good value for customers' money and a product that Pendraken can continue to sell.

Sounds good to me, thanks for the info.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

mollinary

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 01 November 2018, 07:18:02 PM
Hi Leon

I've got as far as assembling and briefly reading through all the printed info I have. I had already started on Saxon flags for a painting job a few years ago but the customer decided to do his own and it wasn't completed, not looking forward to all those different border designs though. Similarly I have some work done on the Polish flags that will give me a start there too. Hesse-Darmstadt uses some of the Prussian layout so they aren't being done quite from scratch - Warsaw looks a bit of a nightmare but with a good deal of similarity and Wurtemberg is a total new design.

At the moment I'm only planning on doing the infantry - which is what I usually do for Pendraken Napoleonics, cavalry will have to wait until later if it is required.

Any help will, of course, be welcome - I'm no expert at researching flags but have often found that even the most commonly used references are not perfect (or even complete in some cases). Possibly better to communicate with my 'work' e-mail main AT tinytintroops DOT co DOT uk Andrew, at least until I'm able to share a plan.

It will be later this month when I'm able to give any detailed plan as I've got other bits in the queue before I can get to that stage.

Tony of TTT

Hi Tony,

I entirely agree regarding commonly used sources. All I can offerr is Saxon information from Hottenroth, the Saxon Officer who controlled the Saxon archives before WW1 and wrote the definitive history of Saxon flags, combined with more recent access to existing flags in the German Army Museum. Also info on other German states provided by Fiebig in his 1936 volume on the flags of German states from 1615-1918. This is not comprehensive, but contains much, including photos of then extant flags, which is missing in later sources. i am afraid I can offer you nothing to resolve your problems regarding the Duchy of Warsaw. I have also  provided the info behind the mid nineteenth century German state flags in the Pendraken range, and  contributed to your own Napoleonic Prussian flags.

Best Regards,

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

TinyTinTroops

Hi Andrew

That certainly trumps my sources (the 3 Ospreys & Over plus Drapeaux website) but, at least the Saxon stuff is fairly comprehensive and identical in both textual sources as to the designs. What may differ is in the deployment and issue of the flags or any individual details, of which I have little or no knowledge beyond those sources and probably don't need immediately.

Do you know of any glaring errors in these sources ?

Tony

mollinary

Hi Tony,

I dont have the Osprey on Saxon flags, and am not sure as to the identity of the 'Drapeaux' site you refer to. That said, there are many errors in wargaming flags for the Saxons, including putting the reverse and obverse in the wrong order, and putting the cartouche for the monogram in field colour rather than white. I have emailed you the Hottenroth illustrations.

Andrew
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Chad

Rawkins has an e-book publication on both the Saxons and Duchy of Warsaw. Have not looked at the flag sections but at the price they may be worth a look.

TinyTinTroops

Hi Chad

Could you give me a bit more detail on that e-book please. Where might I find it ?

thanks

Tony

Zippee

Quote from: TinyTinTroops on 02 November 2018, 11:13:22 AM
Hi Chad

Could you give me a bit more detail on that e-book please. Where might I find it ?

thanks

Tony

Hi Tony,
I'll be prepping a bunch of info on flags to go with the uniform data already supplied. That will include the relevant info from the Rawkins publications - which is extremely good for its time but usually needs corroboration. I think between what Mollinary will provide and my more general overview you should be good to go.

I'll also review the uniform data just to ensure there are no 'doh!' moments :)

Chad

Tony

Google W J Rawkins. It wii appear as the historyman. The e-books are £4.50 each and are good value for money.

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Sandyfalkirk

Quote from: Zippee on 02 November 2018, 01:48:17 PM
Hi Tony,
I'll be prepping a bunch of info on flags to go with the uniform data already supplied. That will include the relevant info from the Rawkins publications - which is extremely good for its time but usually needs corroboration. I think between what Mollinary will provide and my more general overview you should be good to go.

I'll also review the uniform data just to ensure there are no 'doh!' moments :)

Hi folks

Can I just confirm a few things as I can't really decide what to order without knowing....

Do the Hessians have bicorns or shakos?

WeeWars

← click my website button to go to Michael's 10mm 1809 BLOG and WW1 Blog

www.supremelittleness.co.uk

2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

WeeWars

Scolty

Again, thanks to all involved in this project!

I'm very much looking forward to getting stuck into my proposed 1809 project. As I have previously posted, I won't be doing any painting, etc., until after Xmas.

Currently reading through General d'Armee and also enjoying the related videos posted on YouTube.

I would be interested to hear from members about their current/proposed project. Which ruleset? Unit basing? 

Cheers,
Scolty
(anyone going to 'Targe' next week?)

WeeWars