Some Teensy-Tinsy Little Airplanes

Started by bigjackmac, 09 October 2018, 03:19:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

All,

Several weeks ago I was hanging around over on The Wargames Website, perusing new topics, and one popped up that caught my eye: https://www.thewargameswebsite.com/forums/topic/tiny-air-combat/
There was this crazy cat that goes by "Thomaston" over there posting some super cool pictures.  He had these tiny little aircraft (I'd guesstimate them to be about 1/1250, roughly).  I couldn't stop staring, and just had to get me some.  I reached out to Thomaston, turns out he designs them himself and gets them professionally 3D printed.  I begged and whined a lot and, lo and behold, he was kind enough to make some available for me via Shapeways (whose customer service has been absolutely fantastic, by the way).  And when I say he was kind enough to make some available, I mean he's been amazing.  I thought up some crazy projects I wanted to do, asked him if he could support, and he went out and designed them and hung them on Shapeways, exactly what I wanted, customized for what I was looking for.  I did a test order, got'em, and loved the look, so I quickly did two more orders.  I primed some but couldn't figure out a basing scheme.  I figured out a basing scheme and painted some up, now I need some more (bases and planes)!  Mine do not look anywhere near as pretty as his do, but I figured I'd share what I'd finished so far.

So here is what I've got ready so far; not a lot, but enough to play some WWII games, and a few testers for modern aircraft.  Here's what you're looking at: six US Navy/Marine Corps F4F Wildcats, four A6M Zeroes, six G4M Bettys, one F-4 Phantom, one B-57 Canberra, one MiG-21 Fishbed, and one Su-22 Fitter.

A closeup of three Bettys.  Plain green, some yellow leading edges, red on white national insignia on each wing and the fuselage (easy, just a dab of white from a toothpick, then a dab of red from a toothpick), and bright blue glass on the cockpits and dorsal turrets.

And here's a photo to give you a sense of size: along the bottom are Thomaston's models, the F-4 Phantom and the G4M Betty.  At top left is a 1/600 Oddzial Ozmy F-4 Phantom, at top right a 1/600 G4M Betty, also from OO.

To see more photos, please check the blog at:
http://blackhawkhet.blogspot.com/2018/10/another-new-wwii-and-modern-aerial.html

So I'm waiting on more bases from Litko, I need to order more aircraft from Thomaston (if he's still willing to put up with me, which I say facetiously as he's been nothing but gracious, I just hope I'm not imposing), and then I need to get them all painted and based.  However, I have what I need to play my first fights, so keep your eyes peeled, action imminent!  Along those lines, I also played two more 10mm fights with Squad Hammer this weekend, continuing my campaign in the fictional African of "South Leon" for my "Cuba Libre" blog (https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/), I'm working on the batreps, and these WWII Pacific aircraft will soon be in action over on my WWII Pacific blog (https://oldleadbreed.blogspot.com/).

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

fsn

Blimey!  1:1250!

I have enough trouble with my Tumbling Dice. 

And also with tiny aeroplanes of 1:600 scale.

Very nice work though. Even if I think Phantom vs Betty is a bit mean.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

sunjester

They look super, but I'm not sure I'd cope with such little aircraft myself.

pierre the shy

Quote from: fsn on 09 October 2018, 07:50:38 AM
Blimey!  1:1250!
I have enough trouble with my Tumbling Dice.  
And also with tiny aeroplanes of 1:600 scale.
Very nice work though. Even if I think Phantom vs Betty is a bit mean.

lovely work at that scale Jack.

fsn - how about F-14's vs  A6M2 Zeroes - is that a bit more even?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3XNEWtJF0o

hmm...maybe not  ;)
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Ithoriel

Those look great Jack! Very impressed with both the sculpting and painting.

Somewhere in my "unpainted" boxes I have some 1/3000 Navwar aircraft. You remind me I need to slap some paint on them, some day.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Maenoferren

Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

bigjackmac

Thanks everyone, I appreciate it!

FSN - Hey, when I play, I play to win! And I shall bathe in the tears of my nine year-old son as his Bettys go down in a hail of Sidewinders and Sparrows!

Pierre - Always loved The Final Countdown; a little silly I suppose, but I love the moral dilemmas it imposed, and nothing beat the Lieutenant Commander that jumped off the helo meeting the ship when it ported, in his limousine!

Ithoriel - 1/3000!!!???  Great googly-moogly!

V/R,
Jack

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Look good, but 1/600th is small enough for me.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

bigjackmac

Thanks guys, and they are small, but the detail is great and so easy to paint, just don't try to put too much on them.

V/R,
Jack