Kindle vs Real Books

Started by Womble67, 08 October 2018, 01:13:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Womble67

Kindle vs Real Books which do you prefer, as I'm thinking of buying myself a Kindle and wondered what you thought

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

fsn

I have a Kindle and will kill anyone who tries to take it off me. It is great for travelling (as it will read books to me whilst I am driving) and convenient for my jet-setting lifestyle.

However, I won't use the Kindle for important books - that is books with maps, pictures or tables of data. For these paper is the only way to go.

With the Kindle you can also access the internet, use "apps" and buy books really, really easily.

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

T13A

Hi Andy

Wot FSN wrote!

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

jimduncanuk

A Kindle as a book reader is fairly handy as you can get an awful lot of reading material for free or for a smaill fee..

Minimal storage space required, handy when on holiday.

As  s bonus you can pick up your email, browse the internet or review your photograph collection.

I also find it particularly handy to amuse my grandson with a YouTube cartoon.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Steve J

Books for me and only books. I love the feel, weight, smell and the fact I can just pick one up at random, open at any page and start reading. Sheer bliss!

Matt J

Wot Steve said,

tried a kindle, detested the soulless thing.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Shedman

A Kindle for me as I can have the letters in a big font size

if i need maps then I lopen the book on my pc and scrap the image

Womble67

Pretty even so far

I also have an awful lot of PDF books which if I did get a Kindle I would want to upload is speech to text available on these also

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

Leon

Adele loves her Kindle and has a huge amount of books in it.  I can't get to grips with them though, I don't feel like I'm reading a book with these electronic devices and prefer proper paper. 

I can't watch TV on phones and tablets either, it just doesn't feel right to me.  We spent years getting bigger TV screens, better colours, HD, Super HD, more features and then suddenly everyone wants to watch their favourite shows on a 3" screen with an iffy internet connection.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Womble67

With all your collective experience what particular model of Kindle would you suggest.

Should I start at the bottom in case I don't get on with it or get a good one to start with

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

Womble67

Quote from: Leon on 08 October 2018, 03:32:18 PM
Adele loves her Kindle and has a huge amount of books in it.  I can't get to grips with them though, I don't feel like I'm reading a book with these electronic devices and prefer proper paper. 

I can't watch TV on phones and tablets either, it just doesn't feel right to me.  We spent years getting bigger TV screens, better colours, HD, Super HD, more features and then suddenly everyone wants to watch their favourite shows on a 3" screen with an iffy internet connection.

Totally agree about watching TV on small screens not for me

Take care Andy
The Wargames Directory

Shedman

Quote from: Womble67 on 08 October 2018, 03:55:46 PM
With all your collective experience what particular model of Kindle would you suggest.

Should I start at the bottom in case I don't get on with it or get a good one to start with

I've had a kindle since 2011.

Personally I prefer the original ones with the buttons on the side

I don't like the new ones where you have to swipe the page - too much effort involved

So when they give up the ghost it's off to ebay to get another one

If I were going to buy a new one then I'd probably look at the Kindle Oasis

alan

Ithoriel

Never bothered with a Kindle reader, just use the Kindle app on my PC.

If I'm out and about I'm either enjoying my surroundings, startling strangers with random conversation or dozing in my bus or train seat.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Nick the Lemming

I have a kindle and a kindle fire, and mostly use the latter these days since I can check t'interwebs too with it. I have a shitload (metric, not imperial) of pdfs and books on there, including a load of wargames rulesbooks, so when I go out wargaming I don't need to carry around heavy books as well as my armies etc.

Having been laid up in hospital and then at home lately, the kindle has been a godsend. Read through lots of books and pdfs, all in a small and light reader. So much easier than real books, and if there's something I come across while reading, I can buy it and start reading immediately rather than have to order it online to be delivered, go to the bookstore or whatever. Much more convenient. Going on holiday is a snap too, just the kindle and I can read whatever I want, which cuts down on baggage weight and volume considerably.

Plus, as well as all the free e-books out there, ones you buy tend to be cheaper than in dead tree format, and take up less space in the house (which is already filled with books).

If anything happened to my current kindle(s), I'd get another one on amazon prime with same day delivery. For the price, it's possibly the best thing I've ever bought in terms of utility and pleasure.   

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Kindle app on phone while i wait for daughter to fall asleep in her dark room . Paper for everything else.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner