Storage issues

Started by Steve J, 07 October 2018, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

A friend found a solution ... of sorts ... to the problem of magnetic base slippage.

His hills were not flocked but coated with iron filings and spray painted!

Units that spent too long defending a slope could become difficult to remove :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

30 December 2018, 02:41:40 PM #46 Last Edit: 30 December 2018, 02:46:26 PM by Westmarcher
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 30 December 2018, 01:40:55 PM
I found getting a good match of the magnets to the base more and more difficult as my eyesight required correction.

Another reason, through not a particularly good one, is that I found the magnetic stuff quite slippery, which changed almost any wargame hill into the Cresta Run.
Of course naked MDF is also very slippery, so that problem requires a different solution.

Don't fully understand the matching issue, Steve (I understand you are long sighted but, then again, you also collect/play with 10mm figs). You don't really need the magnet to match the base exactly. For example, most of my bases are 25mm x 25mm square and I cut 20mm x 20mm squares from the 0.55mm thick self adhesive magnetic sheets (which are 40mm wide x 200mm long) and stick them on the bottom of the base. This works equally well with my 10mm (up to 8 ) and 15mm (up to 4) figures on the 25mm square base.

Yes, there can be a problem on certain slopes with bases that have smooth undersides. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often in most games (unless you are doing a re-fight of The Battle of the Pyrenees). My solution was to cut a few bases or sabots from steel paper (I've only cut enough for one and a half units - about 4 sabots - that's how often I need them). I then stuck some thin self adhesive pads (you know, the type you get in the Pound Shop, etc. to stick to the underside of ornaments so that the base doesn't scratch your furniture) - on one side of the steel paper base. My magnetised bases stick to the steel paper base/sabot and the thin felt pad on the underside of the steel base/sabot grips the hill. Voila! No sliding.  

(Unfortunately, I can't post photos on this forum but if you want some pics sent to you, drop me a personal message)  
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Noktu

Hey,

I wanted to share my storage solution here. I found some nice trays from the H&M store.

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0464712005.html

Size: 5x18x33 cm

By adding floor protectors to the corners, I made them stackable and not moving on top of each other. I find them great for this scale.

1 by Atte Von Kraut, on Flickr

2 by Atte Von Kraut, on Flickr

3 by Atte Von Kraut, on Flickr

4 by Atte Von Kraut, on Flickr

mmcv

They look good and sturdy!

I use these things https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00TH5A37E/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_ehmmCb7AECW5G which I find are a good height and size. Clear plastic is easy to see what's in it too without pulling it all out. Though I do like the dark wood trays for the presentation value.

fsn

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

I'm trying to standardize on 9L Really Useful Boxes for figures but have some bigger ones for boardgames that I have several add-ons for (I'm looking at you Firefly and Merchants and Marauders :)  )

https://www.ryman.co.uk/really-useful-storage-box-9-litre
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Leman

I am also a 4L and 9L RUB man.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Raider4

Quote from: Noktu on 05 January 2019, 12:54:31 PM
Hey,

I wanted to share my storage solution here. I found some nice trays from the H&M store.

https://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0464712005.html

Size: 5x18x33 cm

By adding floor protectors to the corners, I made them stackable and not moving on top of each other. I find them great for this scale.

Ooooh, I like those. Are they available in the physical store, or is it online only?

Cheers, M.
--

Noktu

Quote from: Raider4 on 05 January 2019, 09:51:50 PM
Ooooh, I like those. Are they available in the physical store, or is it online only?

Cheers, M.
--

Here in Finland H&M Stores mainly sell clothes, so I had to order them online. But their Mailing service is super fast, the order showed up in the nearby post just in 2 days.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 December 2018, 02:41:40 PM
Don't fully understand the matching issue, Steve (I understand you are long sighted but, then again, you also collect/play with 10mm figs). You don't really need the magnet to match the base exactly. For example, most of my bases are 25mm x 25mm square and I cut 20mm x 20mm squares from the 0.55mm thick self adhesive magnetic sheets (which are 40mm wide x 200mm long) and stick them on the bottom of the base. This works equally well with my 10mm (up to 8 ) and 15mm (up to 4) figures on the 25mm square base.

Yes, there can be a problem on certain slopes with bases that have smooth undersides. Fortunately it doesn't happen too often in most games (unless you are doing a re-fight of The Battle of the Pyrenees). My solution was to cut a few bases or sabots from steel paper (I've only cut enough for one and a half units - about 4 sabots - that's how often I need them). I then stuck some thin self adhesive pads (you know, the type you get in the Pound Shop, etc. to stick to the underside of ornaments so that the base doesn't scratch your furniture) - on one side of the steel paper base. My magnetised bases stick to the steel paper base/sabot and the thin felt pad on the underside of the steel base/sabot grips the hill. Voila! No sliding.  

(Unfortunately, I can't post photos on this forum but if you want some pics sent to you, drop me a personal message)  

All clearly stated stuff.

I'm on the lookout for a supplier of precision cut adhesive magnetic stuff - failing that I'll try cutting slightly undersize pieces.

Meanwhile I've found a grid of small blu-tack balls gives a good grip on the underlying surface.
It's main drawback is the time to detach an army from its boz.

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Leman on 05 January 2019, 06:36:04 PM

I am also a 4L and 9L RUB man.

I am also a RUB man.

I have about 80 of the 4L/9L variety as well as a few larger ones 18L/21L.

I think I need to buy a few more.
My Ego forbids a signature.

rct75001

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 07 January 2019, 10:32:15 PM
All clearly stated stuff.

I'm on the lookout for a supplier of precision cut adhesive magnetic stuff - failing that I'll try cutting slightly undersize pieces.

Meanwhile I've found a grid of small blu-tack balls gives a good grip on the underlying surface.
It's main drawback is the time to detach an army from its boz.

Steve, Litko in the US will do custom cut adhesive magnets

Richard
And she said "You haven't bought more of those little men have you?"

https://rctlittlesoldiers.blogspot.com.au

fred.

I put magnetic sheet on the bases of all my figures. Then use metal storage containers, or thin steel paper in box files or RUBs.

As for cutting the magnetic sheet - this is very easy to do with a knife and a ruler. I also cut mine a couple of mm smaller than the base they are going on, makes cutting easier, and picking up figures a little easier.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: rct75001 on 07 January 2019, 11:49:00 PM
Steve, Litko in the US will do custom cut adhesive magnets

Richard

Thanks, I've bought from Litko before.
Thoroughly recommend their products and service.

Unfortunately the import duties are eye watering.
So UK based would suit me best.

Nick the Lemming

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 08 January 2019, 04:00:54 PM
Thanks, I've bought from Litko before.
Thoroughly recommend their products and service.

Unfortunately the import duties are eye watering.
So UK based would suit me best.

I got some good recommendations here: http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,18085.0.html