Storage issues

Started by Steve J, 07 October 2018, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

nigel drury

I'd also  strongly recommend the Commission Figurines inserts for the 4 and 9 litre RUBs. Works well for troops or terrain with mixed heights. You have 70 or 140mm to pay with, so for example  a 9 lt box with 30,35,35,40  is good for terrain and 4x 17.5mm in a 4lt box is fine for 6mm models or 10mm infantry (without flags/pikes etc.).  These are a lot more flexible than RUB's own inserts as you can add in whatever internal sub-divisions are convenient. A 20,25,25 combination in a 4 lt box fits a surprising amount.

Last Hussar

Those look like what I want - Not come up when I did earlier searches.

Think I need to contact them
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: paulr on 13 October 2018, 09:28:46 PM
Those Pizza boxes are an interesting idea :-

I'm pretty sure one of grocery warehouses sells them, I must do some measuring to see if Pikes will fit

Very cheap if ordered in 50s or 100s. My lead mountain isn't quite that size, so I managed to get 10 x 16" square (and I think  45mm high) at £8.99 from Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075CLTXBV/?coliid=I2A9WNHT2QXQUD&colid=NC25S2RGX438&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Most of my forces fit into a single box, but they are a little shallow for standard bearers, pikes etc.
I'm no great pike fan, but have a few "accidental" long spears.

Contemplating chopping down a lidded cardboard box to carry all the height sensitive elements.

paulr

I got some pizza boxes from the 'local' grocery warehouse on Saturday :)

330x300x45 came in a pack of 50 for the equivalent of 35p each :) :)

I've started transferring my 6mm troops into them, freeing up my deeper draws for my 10mm figures, particularly my ECW project with all their pikes :)

Thanks for the suggestion
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

The boxes A4 copier paper comes in can easily be converted to sturdy storage jobs; just takes a few minutes with a sharp knife (or some scissors if you're a certain Taff), and a drop of glue to secure the flaps at the narrow ends. You need to cut down the lid as well as the main box, or you'll have unnecessarily deep results.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

sunjester

Another vote for Commission Figurines inserts. I started using them earlier this year and they are excellent.

nigel drury

The 6mm mdf railway sections from Commission Figurines are excellent and would probably look OK with 10mm figures.

Leman

Take a look at Fred's Painting Diary thread for a hobby bits and bobs storage solution. Very nice indeed.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Quote from: Norm on 11 October 2018, 06:48:07 AM
I awoke this morning with a renewed intention to get my wargaming stuff off the floor and force it back to sit on the shelving unit, which I can't easily get at, because of the 'efficient' floor stacks!
:
Hopefully today, I won't just sit there looking at it and something will happen.
:) I feel your pain, brother!
Sleep with clean hands ...

steve_holmes_11

Pizza box request for ideas...

I'm one of the advocates of Pizza boxes for army storage.
It's working well for me form a storage perspective.
However I am starting to face up to the transportation problems.

I didn't plan or implement any magnetic basing solution.
The MDF bases skate about on the cardboard bottom of the box and will inevitably rattle about like pinballs if transported in the back of the car.

I'm looking for a solution that relies on "temporary stickiness" - think like Post-it notes - but I've not found anything yet.
I'm going to cut a cardboard "Inner" to fit inside the box and reinforce the base (Figures weight more than Pizzas).
I hope to cover it with something tacky that will hold the bases when placed on, but allows them to peel off ready for gaming.

Do the good folks of the forum have any ideas?

mmcv

Could try Glu dots? Like blu tack but maybe a bit stronger?

Westmarcher

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 30 December 2018, 10:55:28 AM
Pizza box request for ideas...

I'm one of the advocates of Pizza boxes for army storage.
It's working well for me form a storage perspective.
However I am starting to face up to the transportation problems.

I didn't plan or implement any magnetic basing solution.
The MDF bases skate about on the cardboard bottom of the box and will inevitably rattle about like pinballs if transported in the back of the car.

What is stopping you implementing a magnet basing solution? All of my bases have magnetic bases cut from magnetic sheet available from Magnetic Displays' Lightweight Range. It is adhesive backed so it's simple to cut to your preferred size, peel back the paper and stick it onto the underside of the base. For storage, I've used two methods. I used to have cardboard boxes which I lined with steel paper (again, as far as I know, still available from Magnetic Displays) but now I use tin boxes (the type you get when you buy chocolate biscuits or shortbread in the supermarket). The tin boxes are obviously sturdier than cardboard boxes - only (slight) 'drawback' is that I have boxes of various shapes and sizes because the tins come from various biscuit and shortbread manufacturers!   
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Westmarcher on 30 December 2018, 01:36:08 PM
What is stopping you implementing a magnet basing solution? All of my bases have magnetic bases cut from magnetic sheet available from Magnetic Displays' Lightweight Range. It is adhesive backed so it's simple to cut to your preferred size, peel back the paper and stick it onto the underside of the base. For storage, I've used two methods. I used to have cardboard boxes which I lined with steel paper (again, as far as I know, still available from Magnetic Displays) but now I use tin boxes (the type you get when you buy chocolate biscuits or shortbread in the supermarket). The tin boxes are obviously sturdier than cardboard boxes - only (slight) 'drawback' is that I have boxes of various shapes and sizes because the tins come from various biscuit and shortbread manufacturers!   

I found getting a good match of the magnets to the base more and more difficult as my eyesight required correction.

Another reason, through not a particularly good one, is that I found the magnetic stuff quite slippery, which changed almost any wargame hill into the Cresta Run.
Of course naked MDF is also very slippery, so that problem requires a different solution.