Storage issues

Started by Steve J, 07 October 2018, 03:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

We have some of my wife's relatives coming to stay this week and as a result I've had to have a good tidy up of my wargames stuff that has been lying around. I've managed to move it all into our bedroom and loft for the time being, but it made me realise that, if I ever finish my lead mountain, currently I've got nowhere to store the finished armies! Am I alone in having this issue to deal with, which I seriously doubt? How do other forum members address this issue? I'd love to know.

petercooman

Have the same problem. Much easier to store when unpainted. I turned the loft into two bedrooms for the little ones and "claimed" one of the bedrooms that became "vacant".

jimduncanuk

Been there, solved that.

I built a 17' x 10' hut in my back garden.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Shedman

A couple of years ago I got fed up with everything in different sized boxes etc

Our local stationary shop sells clear plastic boxes - the standard is A4 and comes in 2 depths - 20mm and 50mm

the 20mm ones are great for most 6mm and some 10mm boxes

the 50mm ones are for 10mm armies with cavalry and infantry standards and a lot of 15mm armies

there is alos a range called Tiger Brand Tuff Storage Box which are  A4and are 30mm deep

I've started storing terrain in them as well

Here's one of my 2 storage shelves

It also helps to have a converted garage

Duke Speedy of Leighton

I have a garage, and lots of Tiger cub 40mm deep boxes
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Norm

07 October 2018, 04:32:25 PM #5 Last Edit: 07 October 2018, 04:35:39 PM by Norm
I have had things in a loft and a garage and they can suffer in winter, particularly paper and MDF, so be selective what you store there.

For about a year, I have been pretending to go through a 'rationalisation', a slim down in other words .... no me, just the games.

This can need a bit of an aggressive approach, especially for me as I have also decided to increase some of my boardgame side of things over the next few years.

For the remaining figures, the two things I have done is try to convert to boxes / drawers that are as shallow as I can get away with, so that there s more efficient stacking. Secondly I have just bought two of those plastic frames on wheels that have plastic drawers (as sold by Range, Hobby Craft, Homebase, Rymans etc). as they are on wheels, they can be stored pushed up against my bookcases side on and just wheeled out of the way whn I need access to the shelves. One has 8 x 3" deep drawers, ideal for 10mm buildings and the other has 5 deeper draws, which I use for hex tiles and 'things'.

I think for most people, everything to do with wargame storage is a compromise and you can only do what you can only do.

Orcs

I am very lucky as I have no storage issues.
I have a 13'x17' Den/painting room with a large built in cupboard and 30' of shelving. I also have the loft above the garage. Plus a third of the house loft.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Steve J

Our garage gets too cold and damp in the winter, as I found out to my cost many years ago, then like an over in the summer! So that's a no go area now. The loft is OK, but again suffers from the same heat issues. Luckily I have gained a load of good storage boxes from work, but just lack space for them. Some more clearing out may help and terrain wise I'm pretty much there, so there is possibly light at the end of the tunnel.

Maenoferren

Most of my stuff is in box files, some are double layered inside to mean more figures per box.
Sometimes I wonder - why is that frisbee geting bigger - and then it hits me!

paulr

Storage is always a challenge

Standardising on one or two types of drawers/boxes certainly helps :)

Unfortunately the local manufacturer appears to have stopped making the drawers I standardised on years ago ~X(

Still looking for a shallow enough replacement in NZ
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Last Hussar

Part of my figure planning is storage. I use Really Useful Boxes, and plan the army round the capacity, and vice versa.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Dr Dave

Quote from: Last Hussar on 07 October 2018, 10:22:55 PM
Part of my figure planning is storage. I use Really Useful Boxes, and plan the army round the capacity, and vice versa.

Yep, really useful boxes.  ;)

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Dr Dave on 08 October 2018, 09:21:03 PM
Yep, really useful boxes.  ;)

I have about 80 of them, 4 litre capacity plus quite a few other box types.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Orcs

I use mainly really useful boxes now. The problem is to finish your Amy you always end up with an empty compartment or two in the tray. This means you have to get another unit or two to fill it up. You then find that to complete the unit you need another tray. This then means you may need another box an this con tines ad infinitude  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Norm

I awoke this morning with a renewed intention to get my wargaming stuff off the floor and force it back to sit on the shelving unit, which I can't easily get at, because of the 'efficient' floor stacks!

I have woken most mornings for many months with the same intention! but today, the Force is strong.

I don't know what the next 12 hours will bring, but there needs to be a radical part to the proceedings, otherwise things just get shifted / shuffled to another place.

There is a mindset part to this, a sort of liberation that needs firm action and in that dear friends, I have no doubt that the local Refuse Centre plays its sad part, as does e-bay and a favoured charity shop.

I used to live in a small apartment and to keep things sensible, there was a golden rule that applied to everything when something new was bought .... one in, one out. That was the only way to keep a tidy ship. It is very hard to apply that to wargaming and since moving, that discipline of everything having to earn its place has gone - that spirit needs to be recaptured.

Hopefully today, I won't just sit there looking at it and something will happen.