2018 wargaming year in review

Started by Steve J, 31 December 2018, 04:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve J

Shutuphippie

Just reading through your blog... when and where was the Cotswold Wargaming day?
2018 Painting Competition - Winner!

Steve J

It was in North Leach in early September. The first one was an invitational only due to size of the venue. Not sure what next years plan is, but will keep all posted as and when I know stuff.

petercooman

31 December 2018, 08:08:32 PM #3 Last Edit: 31 December 2018, 08:25:01 PM by petercooman
interesting read!

Just like you i always wanted to get started in ancients. But there is so much fun stuff in there i was never able to choose an entry point. I wanted hoplites, elephants, chariots, pike phalanx, slingers etc... an i wanted them to be pendraken.

Problem was i wanted to have it all in two forces. I am a "choose a period, make two forces, choose next period" kind of guy. I want a sample force for every period, just to be able to play it, i have no interest in owning every single force for a specific time period. In the end i chose to get the punic wars miniatures, as this gives me elephants , slingers and african soldiers dressed in the hoplite way.

I must admit that painting the forces is on and off. I work on them and as soon as i get something new or urgent, they get pushed behind in the painting line. For me that's a clear indicator that i like it, but it will never be my main period!

Happy new year!