Do you guys sell your books?

Started by petercooman, 26 September 2018, 01:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

Quote from: Terry37 on 27 September 2018, 03:56:36 AM
I do one of two things with books I don't want any longer ...

Books I don't want any longer .... books .... I .... don't ... want ... any ... longer .... nope, can't work out what language you're speaking, makes no sense to me :D
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

kipt

Must be close to Halloween to discuss selling books. Horrorible thought.

The only books I move out are those I find I purchased two copies. Those go to friends (birthday and Christmas presents - convenient). I have over 450 feet of bookshelves and probably over 10 to 12,000 books in the house, so I sometimes forget what I have. Over 7000 are my military subject books.

petercooman

Well, i should have specified the subject as i do mean rule books and supplements. All my resource books will always stay with me.

my wife once tried to convince me to throw out my lord of the rings book beause i've 'read it already and it looks worn'. that discussion didn't end well  ;D

Fenton

If I were creating Pendraken I wouldn't mess about with Romans and  Mongols  I would have started with Centurions , eight o'clock, Day One!

Westmarcher

Quote from: petercooman on 27 September 2018, 08:07:16 PM
Well, i should have specified the subject as i do mean rule books and supplements.

I sold my 6mm ECW armies and buildings.

I know. It was a tad extreme. But it was the only way I could also sell my copy of De Bellis Renationis ....
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Cavillarius

27 September 2018, 11:44:41 PM #20 Last Edit: 28 September 2018, 12:06:32 AM by Cavillarius
I do sometimes sell books, yes. Over the years I've built quite a collection of books on different historical periods. Now that I'm getting older and there are fewer and fewer walls left to hang shelves on, I've decided to ditch the periods I'm least interested in. In the end this will leave me with just Early Middle Ages, some Roman and maybe some Malburian stuff and shelve upon shelve of 19th century imperialism! One condition though: any proceeds MUST be spent on one of the favorite periods, in or books or metal.

Heard about someone who had an entire book case dedicated to The Great Game once.
Not sure that's even possible, but I'll try anyway!  ;D ;D ;D

Orcs

I rarely sell any books especially non fiction.  If I am short of space I annex some on one of Mrs Orcs shelves, stacking hers up a bit.  She does not like books stacked up so culls hers,leaving more space.  For me to annex.  ;)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Cavillarius

Quote from: Orcs on 28 September 2018, 12:02:00 AM
I rarely sell any books especially non fiction.  If I am short of space I annex some on one of Mrs Orcs shelves, stacking hers up a bit.  She does not like books stacked up so culls hers,leaving more space.  For me to annex.  ;)

Spoken like a true imperialist, someone might one day collect book aboutbyou...

Terry37

OK, first off Ithoriel, to answer your question about what language I am speaking, just read between the words. What I said was ....  ....  ...  ...  ...  ....  :)

I do still have the very first book I ever bought on uniforms, back in 1965, Barnes  -uniforms of the British army (not the exact title as it's late I I don't want to go pull it tonight). One book I hadn't planned to let go was my first edition hardback copy of the Blue signed by Jack Hunter. But at near $1,500 USD it was hard to say no and I still have several soft copies that he signed for me as well. I typically do not sell my uniform books, because the study of that subject is a real passion to me. I am slowly adding the Robert Hall books on the uniforms of the Louis XIV period. And gems they are, but definitely NOT cheap!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

howayman

Never sell them. I just lend them to people and never get them back. . .
Then later i buy them again. . .

sultanbev

I've sold all my old rules sets on Ebay, they sell better than books do. Don't expect a lot of money for them though. if using ebay don't forget to add 10% to the postage charge, as ebay take 10% of that as well as the sale price.
For example, I sell all my stuff at 2nd class recorded, which is £3.95, but list p&p as £4.65. It doesn't seem to put buyers off.
Also, don't be put off and keep relisting, a lot of my stuff sells on 10th time around or whatever.
I don't see selling them as a money making scheme, more of a relocation to a good home, and that the space saved is worth more than the value of the items listed.

Mark