Do you guys sell your books?

Started by petercooman, 26 September 2018, 01:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petercooman

In the process of making a list of things to sell, to generate some spending money for crisis.

Just wondering, do you guys sell your old rulebooks/sourcebooks? I have never tossed anything, but am considering it. However, seeing the price they go for on forums etc, is it worth it? I have a few that are hardly used (and will probably never be used), so it seems a bit daft getting rid of them for a fiver!

Really not looking to shift my stuff to you guys with this post (i always sell on the LAF), just curious how others do it! (and i guess looking to convince me from parting with them  ;D )

Steve J

I sell at my local shows, which are held twice a year. As you say, some things are worth so little it seems almost pointless selling them; others you can't give away for love nor money :(.

Leman

I am in the process of selling off a lot of books. Those I can't sell can go to charity - but they will go as I need the space.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Norm

26 September 2018, 02:50:59 PM #3 Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 02:54:13 PM by Norm
One can consider themselves a lucky wargamer if they never run out of storage space, to do a cull every now and then  is sensible / inevitable (in that order :) )

The problem with books / rules, is that paper is so heavy, that postage can significantly harm the value of a book, they need very good packaging and carrying more than a few to a show to sell can be a pain.

I tend to keep the better (read saleable) ones for a show, mark them up at a daft price and hope never to see them again. I'm afraid the remainder are destined for the charity shop and if they are too wargame specific or a stapled booklet etc, they go to paper recycling. Sometimes hassle is just hassle and I find clearing out to have a therapeutic value, clearing the mind, is difficult to put a price on.

It is easy to get hung up on value, but value is what you thought it was worth when you bought it and the opportunities it gave you whilst you owned it - I have never felt that I need to get to realise a part value on parting, gifting it is fine. I see it as like going to a coffee shop, once it is consumed, you will never see that money again, it is a mindset thing more than a budget thing ......... unless of course it is essentially a budget thing.

There was a chap on Consimworld who was sinking under the number of boardgames he owned, with no shelf space left for new purchases, he evenuially sorted out 100 least valuable boardgames to him and skipped them - he found the liberation it brought his mind, had a value all of its own. Lucky skip I say!

petercooman

Well, it is not space related. It's more of a "will never use" thing.

To give an example:

Warhammer fantasy 8th edition hardback togheter with 2 hardback army books. Bought for over 120€, played once, and then the FLGS closed down (where i played warhammer fantasy)

Since then i have moved to kings of war, wich i find a more manageable game, so will probably never use them.

They are not lying in my way, but it feels like 'dead space' being occupied. Coupled with the fact i want to generate some crisis funds, i started looking at options. (i'm not broke, mind you, but have spent way over my hobby budget the last few months, so want to up the balance a bit)

I always get down to the point where i want to get rid of things i don't use, but never go furter than thinking about it. (i do watch the "wanted" thread on LAF though, and if anything comes up that i have, i sell it. usually when someone is actively looking for it, you get a fair price)

Matt J

I have a pristine addition of the original 40k rogue trader rules - prices on Amazon £127 to £210  :o

Do people pay that much?!?!
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Norm

€120 - right, I get that, plus someone will love them. I was getting confused with my tatt :-)

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Elliesdad

And, of course, we've all disposed for books only to find that 2 / 5 / 10+ years later we really are interested in that particular campaign after all - and have to track down a further copy...

Geoff

fsn

I don't sell non-fiction books. (At the risk of starting another rant-thread, why aren't they called "fact books")

I have on occasion, donated books to charity. These are usually presents given by well meaning, but slightly misguided relatives.

For years I've used a Kindle for more disposable books: fiction, Techno's diaries and non-European History
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

petercooman

Quote from: Matt J on 26 September 2018, 03:21:55 PM
I have a pristine addition of the original 40k rogue trader rules - prices on Amazon £127 to £210  :o

Do people pay that much?!?!

I see them go for a nice price now and then, but never that much! I do believe most sales happen "off the grid" these days. Be it facebook groups or forum marketplaces. I did a search for that 8th edition rulebook on ebay and only found 1 sold listing.

Quote from: Norm on 26 September 2018, 03:23:28 PM
€120 - right, I get that, plus someone will love them. I was getting confused with my tatt :-)

Mind you i'm talking about pristine copies. I wouldn't bother if they were well used!

Quote from: Elliesdad on 26 September 2018, 03:41:55 PM
And, of course, we've all disposed for books only to find that 2 / 5 / 10+ years later we really are interested in that particular campaign after all - and have to track down a further copy...

Geoff

Especially this!!! That's why i still have all my older armybooks from previous editions!

Steve J

I have the three Warmaster Ancients books that have never been used in anger. They are not bad rules but I think things have moved on and people want to play Hail Caesar etc. However they are regularly advertised at circa £50 per book, but whether they sell or not is another matter...

Terry37

I do one of two things with books I don't want any longer, and that is not often. I will either trade them in on other used books at used books shops or sell them and donate what money I make to the local Bunny rescue. But for me books are real treasures and I often read and reread books because you learn a little bit more each time you read it!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Ace of Spades

I've never sold a book in my life but buy roughly five books every month on average... Last year on bringing up the subject of space my wife suggested we'd put up some shelves in the living room! It took her some time but she managed to convince me  :D
Now it's waiting for the kids to move out and occupy their rooms!
But seriously; I would sell models before I would get rid of any books. They will stay with me till the end.

Cheers,
Rob
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Westmarcher

In answer to the title's question, "no," but I have in the past. I do re-read many and will probably never get rid of them because I do enjoy them. Others I either throw out because they are falling apart or I give to charity, if in good condition (like Nobby, usually gifts from "well meaning" relatives) (I like the idea of calling "non-fiction" books "fact" books, by the way). I once tried donating some books I couldn't sell (but were still in good condition) to the local library but I never subsequently saw them on the shelves - whether this was down to copyright "issues" that libraries must sort out before they can lend, transferral to other libraries or otherwise disposed of, I've no idea. 
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.