WW1 aircraft....suitable scale?

Started by jaztez, 25 September 2018, 12:55:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaztez

Hi guys

I'm doing and East Africa collection (will post photos soon).

I want a couple of aircraft, but I'm unsure what scale to go for that will work.

Have seen the wings of war pre painted stuff, but it's 1/144 scale. Is that too big?
My historical wargaming site: https://miniaturewar.games

FierceKitty

1:144 WW I aircraft look stunning. Best scale for dogfights, imffho.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Leman

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

FierceKitty

Leon

1/144th is your best bet, our stuff is around 1:150th so the difference is negligible.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Terry37

My two cents on airplanes is to use a smaller scale. I prefer this so they still represent the plane, but don't dominate the table top. So, although I game in 15 MM, I use 10 MM vehicles, and 1:300 scale airplanes. However, I also play HOTT and they work nicely under those rules, but may not be as workable under different rule sets.

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 25 September 2018, 01:52:02 PM
1/144th is your best bet, our stuff is around 1:150th so the difference is negligible.

A number of 10mm producers like Minifigs, Time Cast and Irregular  market their figures/kit as  10mm/1/144.

If you crew the aircraft with 10mm figures, they blend perfectly.

Peter Pig do a pilot and airgunner in  "1/144" , perfect fit with Pendraken

Pendraken have a "pilot waving" in WW1 range - not sure if a full figure or head & shoulders aircrew??

The Pendraken Bristol is a neat model.   :)

pierre the shy

I would agree with Terry that 1/300 scale models work well.

We play brigade level France 1914 and Middle East 1917 - 18 games in 10mm using ITLSU rules. The rules provide for aerial recce cards to identify enemy "blinds" (basically as yet unspotted units). The planes only appear if their card is drawn so l intend to use 1/300 planes to represent that event, models  of BE2c's and Taube's being readily accessable from 6mm suppliers from who l can also obtain my other 6mm needs in one order.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Terry37

26 September 2018, 03:27:18 AM #8 Last Edit: 26 September 2018, 03:30:27 AM by Terry37
If this helps, here are a few pictures of some of my 1:300 scale planes. Mine are the old Skytrex models that I bought back in the 80's, but with a little work and adding some wing struts they do nicely for me.

These two British planes are on a 40 x 30 MM base

These French and German planes are on 40 x 40 MM bases.

FYI, I did the above some years ago before I started adding the wing struts. I make them from cold forged metal. Adding them is a real good idea too as it keeps the wings from bending. Heroics and Ross planes come with wing struts and are a little larger, and also very nice models. I have some to them in my to-do pile!!!

Here's a SPAD that has the added wing struts, and also a V-Strutter D.III

As they say, a picture is worth a thousand words!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

paulr

And very nice pictures they are too

Love the basing

:-bd =D> :-bd =D>
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Norm

Clever use of basing, I am having a sort of 'why didn't I think of that' moment  :)

Womble67

Very nice indeed particularly like the basing

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Think the old Skytrex 1/144th scale stuff is still available from Red Eagle ?
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

FierceKitty

It is, but it's a real swine to assemble. I 'd certainly say go for Shapeways.