Terrain, Ethiopian and otherwise

Started by lowlylowlycook, 24 September 2018, 01:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

I'm felling a bit of an itch to get back into generating some terrain so I figure I might as well start up terrain log here.  The two current directions are for expanding and improving my 28mm Ethiopian countryside and also some LotR inspired fantasy terrain. 

Around the last turn of the century, some eucalyptus trees were imported into Ethiopia from Australia.  It turns out that for whatever reason they prospered and one of things that made an impression on my while I was in Ethiopia were all the piles of eucalyptus logs everywhere.  It certainly seemed to be one of the main construction materials used, including some scaffolding that you couldn't pay me enough to climb.

Anyway, I'm going to need some trees so how to go about it.

This guy makes some very nice gum trees out of Seafoam/Super Trees but I highly doubt they'd survive more than one battle.  It does give me something to aim for.

I guess I should make some armatures out of wire but I'm feeling a bit lazy so decided to buy some.  Here is the first test with just some clump foliage.

Main problems seem to be that it give a too dense impression of the leaves and also the clumps seem more effected by gravity than by the spray adhesive I used.  But not bad by any means.

A second test using bits torn off of a kind of 3D mesh that's for keeping leaves out of gutters.  You can see it before and after flock was added.

Since the mesh is hot glued to the armature, I think these would be quite robust.  Next step is to try and match the shape of the prototype, use smaller meshes and maybe shop for some different flock.  Also paint the bark!

Techno

Works for me, Cookie !  :)

Looks rather splendid, to my eyes. ! :-bd

(Does the mesh for keeping leaves out of the gutter work well ? I've often thought of getting some to save one of the 'horrible' outside jobs.)

Cheers - Phil (Who's hoping the above question doesn't derail the thread, after just two posts !! )

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It works for us, it's a pain to fit, but in the long run saves all those ladder moments.

Oh, nice trees too.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Those trees look great 8). One of the main issues with terrain and especially trees and hedges, is balancing realism with durability on the table. I err towards the latter due to how I have to store my stuff and wanting it to last a long time with minor running repairs.

sunjester

Womble67

Quote from: Steve J on 24 September 2018, 07:51:30 AM
Those trees look great 8). One of the main issues with terrain and especially trees and hedges, is balancing realism with durability on the table. I err towards the latter due to how I have to store my stuff and wanting it to last a long time with minor running repairs.

I totally agree they got to be durable

Looks really good

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Techno on 24 September 2018, 07:46:49 AM

(Does the mesh for keeping leaves out of the gutter work well ? I've often thought of getting some to save one of the 'horrible' outside jobs.)

I'll have to defer to Lemmy on this since I don't actually have any gutters.   ;D

A new attempt with some of the branches snipped off, some smaller mesh bits and (in another fit of laziness) I sprayed the armature with stone texture spray.  In my defense, I don't really have any spray paint that is light colored but not actually white.

Steve J

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

lowlylowlycook

Started on some fantasy stuff

A bit of GW's Goblin Town and some rock outcroppings I'm building out of foam.

Some Last Sword resin ruins have been primed.

Techno