Terrain, Ethiopian and otherwise

Started by lowlylowlycook, 24 September 2018, 01:07:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowlylowlycook

Eventually I'd like to make a river and I'm thinking that some ponds/swamps might be good practice.

Cut out some 1/2" Foam.

Then I got out my (perhaps too large) butane  torch to burn in some ponds.  I think I got a bit close to the edge with these.

Some swampy ground with smaller pools of water.

Meanwhile I'm also thinking that I might try and teach some terrain making using some craters as the project:

Now I'm waiting on both some XPS foam to give these a sturdier base and some resins for the water effects.  I guess I should also look into how to make some reeds.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Techno

Those are rather spiffy !  :-bd

Cheers - Phil

lowlylowlycook

A few tests.  Not done the resin on the swamp.  The crater is a bit tall because I used the last scrap of my 1/8" basing foam on the swamp.  The reeds are made from some "Cinnamon Brooms" I picked up in the grocery store checkout lane.

My swamp is better smelling than the average.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

lowlylowlycook

Thanks guys.

Poured some resin.  The long cure time takes a bit getting used to compared to 5 minute epoxy.  Bubbles seemed to come mostly from the "algae" and the blowtorch seemed better than using a straw to exhale CO2.

I had two different dye setups.  The darker was using black brown and green ink.  The clearer was blue and green food color.  I think that whatever is more realistic, it's more fun to have the clear water.  I'll aim for something in between next time.

Also thinking about whether it would be better to flock the ground after the resin cures so it does't get soaked up out of the pools as much.

FierceKitty

I have a sick imagination, I know, but that pond cries out for a largely-submerged warrior with three arrows in his torso. This is not to deny the quality of your modelling!
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

Quote from: FierceKitty on 21 October 2019, 03:43:42 AM
I have a sick imagination, I know, but that pond cries out for a largely-submerged warrior with three arrows in his torso. This is not to deny the quality of your modelling!

Before anyone else says it, I know that would nail it down to a specific era.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

lowlylowlycook

Actually,  I was debating whether I should submerge some Mantic skeletons I have or if would be easier to slice some Reaper Bones in half since the plastic is soft.  Then again the Mantic guys are quite "alive" and might be better.

Just a few such pieces would give a LotR feel to a swamp. 

Terry37

That is some VERY impressive work!!! I especially love the way the stagnant water turned out. Did you add any coloring to the water or is that just the bottom showing through?

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Techno

lowlylowlycook

Quote from: Terry37 on 21 October 2019, 04:42:04 AM
That is some VERY impressive work!!! I especially love the way the stagnant water turned out. Did you add any coloring to the water or is that just the bottom showing through?

Terry

Like I mentioned, the darker pool (on the left) has some artist ink added (they were bought to make washes for for my Orcs and Goblins army so I had black, brown and green), the more clear pool has some food coloring added. 

For rivers and even ponds I'll definitely be painting the areas that should be deeper areas darker.

sunjester

Duke Speedy of Leighton