Basing for Second Afghan War with Black Powder

Started by Cavillarius, 23 September 2018, 04:50:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavillarius

23 September 2018, 04:50:05 PM Last Edit: 23 September 2018, 04:59:11 PM by Cavillarius
Hi,

I'm trying to assemble two armies for the Second Afghan War, plan to use Black Power Rules, and still have some questions about basing:

I was thinking of putting
- 3x2 infantry on 20mm x 20mm bases
- 3x1 cavalry on 20mm x 20mm bases
- 1 piece of artillery with crew (ZC4/RA6) on one 20mm x 20mm base. Will this fit?
- Getting limbers for the artillery as well (ZC6), but what size base do I need? 20mm x 40mm?

Any thoughts?

sunjester

Personally I think you will find it a little cramped getting 6 infantry figures on a 20x20mm base and unlikely to get 3 cavalry or a gun and crew on a base that small.

I've gone for 30mm frontage for my Black Powder ACW, which fits 6 infantry, a gun and crew or 2-3 cavalry. My ACW are 30mm square, but for my Colonial forces I will put regulars on 20mm deep bases and use 30mm deep bases for guns and irregulars.

I use 20x20mm bases for my WSS and found 4 infantry and 2 cavalry fit OK. Last Hussar did manage 6 infantry on his bases, but it took him quite a bit of fiddling and figure base trimming to squeeze them in. We had to go for 20x40mm bases for guns and crew, and they still looked cramped.

Leman

For the SYW I get 8 infantry and three cavalry on a 25mmx25mm base. For skirmish infantry I reduce it to 3 figures:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

For 6mm I use 2 60mm x 30mm bases (cause they were originally based for polemos) and my 15's are based on a 40mm frontage. For the easiest representation of formations you should use 30x15. No of figures, well what looks right is right. Overall so long as the frontage is right it doesn't matter.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021