Operation Chunky Bandit

Started by bigjackmac, 18 September 2018, 03:54:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjackmac

hammurabi70

Quote from: bigjackmac on 07 May 2020, 04:37:52 PM
Hey, thanks a bunch!

The surface is actually three 24" x 12" particle boards that are flocked and that I foolishly drew a 1" grid on...

V/R,
Jack

Why 'foolish' to draw the grid?

bigjackmac

Because I played a couple gridded games on them but haven't played a gridded game in almost ten years, but still use the boards and I think they look ugly with squares drawn on them...

V/R,
Jack

hammurabi70

Quote from: bigjackmac on 13 May 2020, 01:59:37 AM
Because I played a couple gridded games on them but haven't played a gridded game in almost ten years, but still use the boards and I think they look ugly with squares drawn on them...

V/R,
Jack

Ah!  A bit like carpets, you need a mottled finish to 'hide' the lines by creating 'camouflage' to confuse the eye.  Monotones are too unforgiving on the eye for imperfections to be obscured.

bigjackmac

Certainly, made even more so by the symmetry.

V/R,
Jack

bigjackmac

All,

1000 on 4 Aug 1990
Mini-Campaign Fight #4
TF Redleg vs FSNL 5th Company

1st Lt Ordonez leads his TF Redleg straight west, assaulting the rear of the FSNL's 5th Company's positions in an attempt to breakthrough to their comrades in Task Group Halabrio.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground. 

The Cuban right comes under mortar fire.

But is still able to assault through the village.

While Major Fulgencio is able to lead Marines up on the left, where they eliminate the enemy pickets (bottom right) and get into their rear area, closing in on the enemy mortar team (top left).

To see how the fight went, please check the blog at:
https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-30-ground.html

Next up we have a team of Task Force 23 and the South Leon Army's D Company defending against the FSNL's 3rd Company, the Communists having been defeated by TF Hammer and being forced to fall back into the SLA troops, though it does present a problem as their defenses were oriented to the north, not the west.

V/R,
Jack

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

How military opertions get named.

"You were in the bathroom a long time General."
"Yeah, bit of a Chunky Bandit"
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno

Good one !  :)

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

1130 on 4 Aug 1990
Mini-Campaign Fight #5
South Leon Army D Company vs FSNL 3rd Company

The SLA's D Company was dug-in deep into defensive positions oriented north, prepared to fight off the Commie hordes coming down Route 1, but aware of the Cubans' Task Group Halabrio attacking east to west behind them.  What they were not expecting was for a Communist company-sized battlegroup to be defeated by TF Hammer and pushed into their rear, but that's exactly what happened!  Having said that, the industrious SLA troopers were able to rush some troops to their left flank and prepare a defense, even digging in a couple of their units, as the Communists approached.

The SLA troopers are dug-in and expecting trouble, and as the Communists creep through the jungle, the defenders open fire.

Despite the prepared fields of fire, the enemy manages to push forward in the center.

But the SLA mortars and machine guns make quick work of them.

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-31-ground.html

Next up we have the rematch between Lt Espinale's Task Force Hawk and the Free Leon Army's 2nd Company, which fought the Cubans to a standstill, knocking out a tank, an APC, two rifle teams, and wounding their commander!  The Cuban paratroopers are seeking retribution.

V/R,
Jack

Techno

Temporal shift or not.... ;)

I still enjoyed it, Jack ! :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

bigjackmac

bigjackmac

All,

1200 on 4 Aug 1990
Mini-Campaign Fight #6
TF Hawk vs FLA 2nd Company

This is the first fight of Turn 2, where we have 1st Lt Espinale and TF Hawk in a rematch with the FLA 2nd Company's ferocious defenders.  To see the map moves, please check here:
https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-mini-campaign_25.html

TF Hawk was roughly handled in the first fight, losing a tank, an armored personnel carrier, two rifle teams, and having their commander lightly wounded.  The Cuban paratroopers, supplemented by commandos from TF Dusty, are singularly focused and seeking retribution.  This is a simple attack/defend scenario; the Cuban goal is to crush their enemies on the way to the capital, the Communist goal is to hold the ground.

The Cubans are making good progress in the center (center), when suddenly an enemy Technical shows up (far right).

So Captain Villagrosa brings up the Charlie G team, who sends an 84mm round down range...

While the MG team holds down the left flank.

https://cubalibrewargame.blogspot.com/2020/05/operation-chunky-bandit-32-ground.html

Next up we have the South Leon Army's D Company, buttressed by one team from Task Force 23, defending against the FSNL's 1st Company.

V/R,
Jack