Buildings are not pre-painted

Started by Last Hussar, 18 September 2018, 01:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

;D ;D
Indeed, Cavillarius!
Pared - to be in its natural condition
And the homophones:
Paired - to be coupled to another ( which may or may not be pared) OR to be reduced.
Peared - to be paired to conform to the shape of a pear.

It puts me in mind of various formal ecclesiastical and academic services which begin with a pre-lude and end with a post-lude.
This suggests the intervening time is a lude (which offers additional homonyms and homophones).
Sleep with clean hands ...

Techno

I like your thinking, Bill !!  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil

Terry37

Not sure I follow all the "pared" chat, but I will say Mr. Bill, that you are on. Loser must profoundly extol the wining team on this forum in this thread. Should I go ahead and send you info on the Longhorns to help you out, or will after the game be soon enough?

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

Last Hussar

Quote from: Cavillarius on 28 September 2018, 03:53:06 PM
So basically, what you are saying is that they come pared, rather than prepared?
;D ;D ;D
(English is not my first language, btw)

I'm whelmed.  You've all been most dolent.

To be serious for a moment (normal service will resume in a minute) 'prepare' comes from the latin 'to make ready before hand', as opposed to 'pared' which would mean (if it existed in that definition) 'To make ready' - similar to deployed used to have a version called 'ployed' - to be in the column formation rather than in line.

Now we say unprepared.  However we do not say unprepainted.

You may now go back to throwing stale peanuts from the mess bar at FSN.  Its the only food he gets, poor dear.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

d_Guy

=)
I have met several of your fans at games here - nice folks - full of Longhorn trivia - completely delusional.
You do know that we lead the all-time series in wins - right?     :)

Terry37

"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

d_Guy

;D ;D
Game on!

As a reminder: (and for our friends across the pond who have not lost interest long ago - the good guys are in all white unies)

;)
Good night, Brother.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Last Hussar

Ah, american football. For those not good enough to play rugby.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Ithoriel

American Football and Rugby ....

People in body armour pretending they are injured and people in t-shirt and shorts pretending they're not ;)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

FierceKitty

Quote from: Ithoriel on 29 September 2018, 01:25:56 PM
American Football and Rugby ....

People in body armour pretending they are injured and people in t-shirt and shorts pretending they're not ;)

Ouch. Accurate, but ouch.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

d_Guy

;D
Ah - a lovely Autumn Saturday morning and the air is  full of smack talk - which is right and proper!
Actually I agree - you have to be mentally tougher (slightly) to play rugby. I've played both.
The football "armour" does allow the average player to hit at a much higher velocity than most Rugby players, however.

It is true that in College Football (Kitty - I capitalize to show my deep respect) "injury" timeouts are sometimes used for tactical reasons.

I hope y'all watched all the vids Terry and I put up - They are glorious.
Incidently the fans of one of your soccer team seems to have appropriated our "Country Roads".