BKC2 in Italy

Started by sunjester, 16 September 2018, 10:31:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sunjester

Played a BKC game at the last club night, set in Italy in early 1944. The Canadians had pushed a unit of panzer grenadiers out of a hilltop village, now the Germans were coming back with their mates!

I had two companies of Canadians, with a company of Shermans and a supporting battery of 25 pounders, against Orcs with two and a half (the surviving garrison) companies of veteran panzer grenadiers, a company of Panzer IVs, supported by a battery of Wespes.

http://tringwargames.blogspot.com/2018/09/bkc-in-italy.html

Techno

Great stuff, SJ.  :)

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

T13A

Hi

Great report. I really like WWII games set in Italy 1943-44, for me the types of units available seem more evenly matched than some other theatres. Did you use the 1 base = 1 squad level for this game?

I have not played any WWII games in the last couple of years waiting for the new edition of BKC to come out, it's been pretty frustrating.

Cheers Paul
T13A Out!

Steve J

Nice reports Graham and good to see the Italian theatre getting a look in :)

Orcs

Yep it was a good game, but Graham was heavily outnumbered. He had given me a 120mm Motar and 2 81 mm mortars . Using these en masse with the CO of (CV9) could lay down a whopping 11 dice every time I passed a command with him.

Nothing much survives when hit three times with 11 dice
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Yep, been on the receiving end of German mortar barrages and not pleasant :(

sunjester

Thanks for the comments chaps.

Yes the German mortars were devastating, not helped by Orcs always rolling 6's for suppression when they stonked units in the houses!  :P

T13A - why not keep playing with BKC2 whilst you are waiting? We like them, so think "Why change?". We just use a rule that hits from aircraft/artillery auto suppress, otherwise play the rules as written.

T13A

Hi Graham

You are of course absolutely right about keeping on playing BKC2. It's just that since the whole thing started I keep thinking 'OK it will not be long now until the new edition comes out, might as well wait until then to play'. I certainly did not think it would take this long - hence the frustration. The other thing is that I tend to play WWII solo so I have been heavily involved with my wargaming mates in playing ancients although we now find ourselves in a similar situation waiting for the new edition of the Impetus rules to come out!

Cheers Paul

T13A Out!

Orcs

Quote from: sunjester on 17 September 2018, 07:24:12 AM

not helped by Orcs always rolling 6's for suppression when they stonked units in the houses!  :P

The dice Gods were rightly with me this time, especially after the last Black powder game where in  a melee Graham managed to save 8 hits in  a melee.  

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson