1/144 Zvezda IL-2 Sturmovik

Started by SV52, 13 September 2018, 11:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Sunray

Nice paint job.  It takes a lot of work to get the Zvezda kit looking like this.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

petercooman

13 September 2018, 01:42:41 PM #3 Last Edit: 13 September 2018, 01:44:42 PM by petercooman
Good job!

I did one as well a couple years ago.nice kit.

http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,7834.0.html

fsn

Nicely done Sir.

On that ... or rather on a slightly different subject ... I like the look where propellor blades are replace by a clear plastic circle - to better emulate the rapid rotation, one assumes.

However, as everyone bar Giotto will attest, circles are not easy. Does anyone have any life-hacks for propellor blade repalcement circles?
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

OldenBUA

Quote from: fsn on 13 September 2018, 01:58:40 PM
Does anyone have any life-hacks for propellor blade repalcement circles?

There are tools for that. A search for rotary circle cutter should find you some. Only need some clear plastic sheet and voilà.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Wulf

However, as everyone bar Giotto will attest, circles are not easy. Does anyone have any life-hacks for propellor blade repalcement circles?

Depends on the size of them - you can get various punches & circle cutters for scrapbooking, but the punches don't like plastic and the circle cutters don't work well below a couple of inches diameter (although they can be persuaded).

Raider4

Agreed, very nice. I'm planning on picking up their 1/200 Blenheim next time I'm in the local Antics.

Does anyone have any life-hacks for propellor blade repalcement circles?

Not tried it myself, but years I found this.

Cheers, M.
--

SV52

"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

Womble67

The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

FierceKitty

Nicely done Sir.

On that ... or rather on a slightly different subject ... I like the look where propellor blades are replace by a clear plastic circle - to better emulate the rapid rotation, one assumes.

I use a ten-baht coin. But a pair of protractors would do too.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Techno

Quote from: OldenBUA on 13 September 2018, 03:12:10 PM
There are tools for that. A search for rotary circle cutter should find you some. Only need some clear plastic sheet and voilà.

Quote from: Wulf on 13 September 2018, 03:27:45 PM
Depends on the size of them - you can get various punches & circle cutters for scrapbooking, but the punches don't like plastic and the circle cutters don't work well below a couple of inches diameter (although they can be persuaded).

Do you want my old circle cutter, Nobby ?

I NEVER use it.....and theoretically it'll cut circles down to 1cm in diameter.....Though I seem to remember, that as Wulf, says.....it plays silly sods, the smaller you try and make the circle !

Cheers - Phil

Duke Speedy of Leighton

What you need is a friendly company with a laser cutter.
Now, where can we find one of those?
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner