The Repair Shop

Started by mollinary, 12 September 2018, 07:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mollinary

Has anyone picked up this BBC2 show, and found it as addictive as I have? Tonight they are restoring a clock made out of the remains of the propellor of a Sopwith Pup in which the owner's Grandfather crashed in the First World War. None of all the rubbish regarding value which degrades so many antiques programmes, just a focus on the objects themselves, and the skills of the restorer - a real breath of fresh air!
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's a good show, hit and miss on the objects depending if I'm interested.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Yep, watched both series and, like Will, find some of it more interesting than others. My main interest is the techniques used as I'm a modelmaker and furniture maker.

Norm

Big fan, we have the recorder set to 'series', so I am slightly behind, but it is such an easy watch.

Subedai

Yep, seen both series. Fascinating stuff. I have a C&G in Furniture Restoration and although I haven't used it for decades so the old wooden items are especially interesting. The horologist does some stunning work on the old mechanisms that come in as well. I find all of the various restorers have equally amazing skills in their own fields and seeing the transformation of old to still old but looking much better is amazing. 
Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Subedai on 14 September 2018, 10:16:21 PM
Yep, seen both series. Fascinating stuff. I have a C&G in Furniture Restoration and although I haven't used it for decades so the old wooden items are especially interesting. The horologist does some stunning work on the old mechanisms that come in as well. I find all of the various restorers have equally amazing skills in their own fields and seeing the transformation of old to still old but looking much better is amazing. 

C&G ... can you still get them, mine is in Data Processing from about 50 years ago.
My Ego forbids a signature.

Smoking gun

I caught the tail end of last weeks episode and it was a pleasure to see craftsmen at work.

Martin
Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.

mollinary

Quote from: Smoking gun on 17 September 2018, 09:08:49 PM
I caught the tail end of last weeks episode and it was a pleasure to see craftsmen at work.

Martin

Thanks Martin, that is exactly how I felt, which is why I started the post. It is a type of television I thought was dead, but which I found unalloyed joy, regardless of the article being worked on. And money was never mentioned. The focus was on the objects, and the skills of those restoring them. Simply magic!

Norm

To fans ... I have just noticed that there is a Christmas special on tonight at 7 PM.

mollinary

Quote from: Norm on 17 December 2018, 01:04:44 PM
To fans ... I have just noticed that there is a Christmas special on tonight at 7 PM.

Thanks Norm, much appreciated!

Steve J

Sadly it's a repeat, but always a good hours gentle viewing.

steve_holmes_11

Sounds brilliant, I'll look it up - thanks for mentioning it.