Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
18 November 2018, 05:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Minibits has released a load of Animals in various scales!
264512 Posts in 15863 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: leTiYo
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  General Discussion (Moderators: mad lemmey, Techno)
| | |-+  The Repair Shop
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Repair Shop  (Read 539 times)
mollinary
Brigadier

« on: 12 September 2018, 07:10:35 PM »

Has anyone picked up this BBC2 show, and found it as addictive as I have? Tonight they are restoring a clock made out of the remains of the propellor of a Sopwith Pup in which the owner’s Grandfather crashed in the First World War. None of all the rubbish regarding value which degrades so many antiques programmes, just a focus on the objects themselves, and the skills of the restorer - a real breath of fresh air!
mad lemmey
Count

« Reply #1 on: 12 September 2018, 07:24:44 PM »

It's a good show, hit and miss on the objects depending if I'm interested.

Chekov's Gun, Occam's Razor, and Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle walk into a bar. You won't believe what happens next!

2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner 😎
Steve J
Lieutenant General

« Reply #2 on: 12 September 2018, 08:07:31 PM »

Yep, watched both series and, like Will, find some of it more interesting than others. My main interest is the techniques used as I'm a modelmaker and furniture maker.

http://wwiiwargaming.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - 2 x Winner!
Norm
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #3 on: 12 September 2018, 10:33:07 PM »

Big fan, we have the recorder set to 'series', so I am slightly behind, but it is such an easy watch.

Subedai
Brigadier

« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2018, 10:16:21 PM »

Yep, seen both series. Fascinating stuff. I have a C&G in Furniture Restoration and although I haven't used it for decades so the old wooden items are especially interesting. The horologist does some stunning work on the old mechanisms that come in as well. I find all of the various restorers have equally amazing skills in their own fields and seeing the transformation of old to still old but looking much better is amazing. 

Blog is at
http://thewordsofsubedai.blogspot.co.uk/

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!
jimduncanuk
Major

« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2018, 12:12:08 AM »

Yep, seen both series. Fascinating stuff. I have a C&G in Furniture Restoration and although I haven't used it for decades so the old wooden items are especially interesting. The horologist does some stunning work on the old mechanisms that come in as well. I find all of the various restorers have equally amazing skills in their own fields and seeing the transformation of old to still old but looking much better is amazing. 

C&G ... can you still get them, mine is in Data Processing from about 50 years ago.

My Ego forbids a signature.
Smoking gun
Second Lieutenant

« Reply #6 on: 17 September 2018, 09:08:49 PM »

I caught the tail end of last weeks episode and it was a pleasure to see craftsmen at work.

Martin

Now they've knocked me down and taken it, that still hot and smoking gun.
mollinary
Brigadier

« Reply #7 on: 17 September 2018, 10:18:26 PM »

I caught the tail end of last weeks episode and it was a pleasure to see craftsmen at work.

Martin

Thanks Martin, that is exactly how I felt, which is why I started the post. It is a type of television I thought was dead, but which I found unalloyed joy, regardless of the article being worked on. And money was never mentioned. The focus was on the objects, and the skills of those restoring them. Simply magic!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: