Clash before Frankenau

Started by pierre the shy, 01 September 2018, 11:49:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

Yesterday Paul and I travelled 2 1/2 hrs up State Highway 1 to Palmerston North to meet up with several other gamers for a bit of a reunion since we have not really met up for something like 3 years....We used to play a lot of Spearhead/Modern Spearhead at the local club in Wellington but real life meant that some of the guys have moved to other places in NZ and as far away as Japan, so it was really good to be able to catch up with everyone and push some 6mm tanks around the table.

Rhys, our host for the day, provided all the armies (he has a "fairly extensive" collection of 6mm stuff  ;) ). He has put together some very nice modular terrain boards representing NW German terrain:

That's the Soviet Commanders hiding underneath the table at the right busily organising their forces.

The Soviet 288th Motor Rifle Division was tasked with taking Frankneu, which was being defended by the Belgian 10th Mechanised Brigade, reinforced by elements of 2nd Brigade, 1st US Cavalry Division.

Here you can see the massive Russian attack coming from the left and their flank marching tank regiment arriving at the far end of the table, meanwhile from the right the Americans arrive in timely fashion to reinforce the hard pressed Belgian brigade.

The position at the end of the game - The Belgian 4th Carabiniers retire after taking heavy casuallties while the two US battalions take up defensive overwatch positions on the E-W ridgelines to cover the withdrawal of the Belgians.

The game itself ended up with a 10:6 victory to the Soviets, but I think everyone had a great day out so the outcome of the game was not particularly important.

It was great to catch up with Rhys, Luke and Peter Connor again.

Cheers
Peter       

Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

It was a lot of fun, despite losing almost all my T-62s :) :) :) :) :)

I didn't realise just how much worse than T-64 they were until after agreeing to command the BTR Regiment #-o
First contact with the Belgians soon put me right :o X_X

Having some Belgian Leopards on a wooded hill whittling away my left flank was not fun, but there wasn't much I could do about it as I couldn't even see where the fire was coming from :-/

I drove off the Belgian Battalion I faced and captured my objective :D
I even managed to avoid attracting the attention of the American battalion holding the wooded ridge to my front :-bd

Definitely a great day out, thanks again for the lift Pierre the Shy

The terrain system is very flexible and all the squares can fit together in any orientation. It stacks up very neatly

and can be set up very quickly, it only took 7 minutes to set up the table :o :!!

Rhys is planning on improving the look of the roads and villages
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

Those terrain tiles are great! The game sounded fun and certainly looked lovely :)

petercooman

Techno

That looks rather spiffy !!  :)

Cheers - Phil

bigjackmac

Wow, what a fight, and what an incredible terrain set up!

V/R,
Jack

lowlylowlycook

Very nice looking and a clever bit of work on the tiles.

paulr

Rhys, our host, has posted a game report with more pictures on his blog here, http://badlyleadmen.blogspot.com/2018/09/game-day.html

The BTR Regiment on the right was not fought to a stand still, it had reached its objective ;)
It had two of its battalions reasonably intact and even had some T-62s left :o

OldenBUA

Nice setup and also cool to put a name to a face.

However, I think the cat is now out of the box. 'Paul' has a magic stick and by waving it about he can create all kinds of coloured lines?! This may explain much about the truth behind the 'painting machine'.

8-}
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Shedman

excellent looking game - well done

paulr

Quote from: OldenBUA on 03 September 2018, 05:04:08 PM
Nice setup and also cool to put a name to a face.

However, I think the cat is now out of the box. 'Paul' has a magic stick and by waving it about he can create all kinds of coloured lines?! This may explain much about the truth behind the 'painting machine'.

8-}

;D ;D ;D

Pierre the Shy is the Peter on the left of that picture

OldenBUA

Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

pierre the shy

04 September 2018, 08:25:15 AM #13 Last Edit: 04 September 2018, 08:26:52 AM by pierre the shy
I was also issued with a "magic" movement stick on arrival but mine came to grief before the game got underway while being brandished at the enemy (opps  :-[ ) so I was given a heavy duty one for the rest of the game.

Hello OldenBUA, we have "decloaked" before - here's a shot of us from the Colmins thread back in 2014 which we played at the local gaming clubs convention. Doesn't seem like it was 4 years ago already  :o   

Thats me on the right, Paul in the middle and Roy, our usual Saturday night gaming host is on the left.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.