Switching from 15mm to 10mm - Should I???

Started by sultanbev, 31 August 2018, 07:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

industrialtrousers

Moving to 10mm the one outstanding thing for me has been the painting. Far faster to get a good result than 15s.

That said, if you're getting on a bit then a decent light source is a must.

Secondary factor is the ease of storage. Probably not as much of an issue to those outside London etc.

Kiwidave

John Cook

Quote from: industrialtrousers on 04 September 2018, 10:42:56 PM
Moving to 10mm the one outstanding thing for me has been the painting. Far faster to get a good result than 15s.

That said, if you're getting on a bit then a decent light source is a must.

Secondary factor is the ease of storage. Probably not as much of an issue to those outside London etc.

I forgot about the comparative ease of painting and, I agree, a good light source is vital regardless of age.  My 71 year old eyes are still pretty good but I have used three lamps for years, with daylight bulbs, from different angles, to reduce shadows to a minimum, combined with a white work surface which helps a lot.  Finally, I invested in some magnifying/reading spectacles, from a well known high street chemist.  I find x 1.5 is the best for general work, x3 if I'm sculpting - they made all the difference and I really recommend them.

sultanbev

The deed is part done. Have traded all my 15mm WW2 for 10mm. Over 700 vehicles, 60 guns, 1500 infantry in 10mm received in return for c490 vehicles, 130 guns, 1800 infantry ish.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Womble67

You won't regret this, its is a fantastic scale you'll just wonder why you didn't do it sooner

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

Sunray

Quote from: industrialtrousers on 04 September 2018, 10:42:56 PM

In the beginning yes,  but then you expand.  You add railways,  air and sea support. Less needs to be "off table".  Yes, it is great eye candy and very satisfying - but storage does become a issue.  Especially at Christmas when adult kids & partners come home and what their room back - hence my big annual Family Boxing Day war game-  "You don't mind sharing the room with a few scenery boards - now do you?"  :)

Techno

Quote from: Sunray on 15 September 2018, 02:33:30 PM
"You don't mind sharing the room with a few scenery boards - now do you?"  :)

I like your thinking, James !! :)

Cheers - Phil

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

Quote from: Sunray on 15 September 2018, 02:33:30 PM
In the beginning yes,  but then you expand.  You add railways,  air and sea support. Less needs to be "off table".  Yes, it is great eye candy and very satisfying - but storage does become a issue.

You write as though that doesn't apply whatever the scale. My 2mm scale terrain excesses certainly take up less space than my 20mm ones!! As to the units I just had to have but will almost certainly never field .... :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Last Hussar

I'm going to be the voice of Treason, and say No for ONE very specific reason.

If you have to ask, then you are not a real wargamer.  8)
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Theo

Definitely go for 10mm.

I have a huge collection of Napoleonics in 18mm with lovely AB figures and still wish it were in 10mm. For me the tabletop just looks RIGHT in 10mm. Terrain is also significantly cheaper which is not an altogether minor factor. They are the perfect combination of detail, ease of painting, tabletop footprint and cost.

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!

Leman

For a brigade level game, but i go even smaller for my corps level games. 3mm works brilliantly at that level:

Company level 15mm:

Brigade level 10mm:

Confederate army at Shiloh 3mm:

The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!