Russian 1812 light cavalry?

Started by sultanbev, 31 August 2018, 07:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sultanbev

How come there are no Russian Hussars, Uhlans and Cossacks in the 1812 range? That's a bit like leaving T-70s out of a WW2 Russian range.....
Are people suggesting other figures?

Mark

Not Drowning, Waving

Would have to agree with you Mark.
It is a bit of an agony putting together a Russian 1812-14 army if you are after PEN sculpting. The 1812 Russian light cavalry can be supplemented with Cossacks from other eras and Hussars can be modified from other eras - but no front rank Hussar Lancers, which you will have to do yourself.
For 1813+ there were horse Jaegers, which were dragoons with Kiewa and plume, so another conversion.

Leon

I'm not quite sure on the details for the 1812 ranges but they were never finished off properly at the time.  We're not looking to add anything to them at the moment as we'd probably prefer to replace the whole range instead.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Not Drowning, Waving

Replacing the whole range would be a truely splendid idea.

sultanbev

Indeed, a rebuilt Russian range in the latest style of the new 1809 releases would be fantastic.
Doing Napoleonics at 1:10, head swaps and conversions are not going to be viable.

Mark

Not Drowning, Waving

1:10 holy moly that is impressive Mark.
What units have you done?

I thought I was ludicrously ambitious with my 1:20 Grande Armed 1812 plus the Russian 1st and 2nd armies over  the next 10 years (I know that sounds like a quip but sadly it is true).  I thought there was a reasonable chance of badgering Leon into redoing the Russian range over that time period...

sultanbev

I've done about 5 battalions of 1812 Austrian Auxiliary Corps and 6 or so of French, but then ran out of enthusiasm, as I can't afford to buy many more without selling my 15mm stuff off first. Plus knowing I can't get most of the Russians is also off-putting, unless I use other manufacturers. 80 figure battalions do look cool though, shame I can't load photos direct onto here.

Mark

Not Drowning, Waving

Sounds an interesting project. I hope you get your mojo back for it.

How are the 80 fig battalions based?

Did you get to any cavalry?

Cheers LPWC

sultanbev

The infantry are based 8 figures on a 3cm frontage by 1.5cm depth, 2 ranks deep, so very dense!. This is the same as the base sizes for our 15mm rules based at 1:20. When measured against the ground scale of the rules (1" = 20yds) it gives just about the right frontage, which I suspect no other rules do. Although in our case it was a happy accident!

I never got started on the infantry, but they were intended to be 4 figures on the 3cm frontage, probably 2.5cm deep. It would be nice to get them two ranks deep but the frontages and depths would be all wrong for the ground scale. So a 500 man cavalry regiment will be 48 figures on 12 bases, which again, is about the right frontage.

Guns I worked out should be 1cm frontage per real gun, so in 10mm one gun on a 2cm frontage represents 2 real world guns, which means I can now represent battalion guns properely, and integreal howitzers within batteries. and distinguish between 6-gun and 8-gun batteries, which before in 15mm we treated the same.

Mark B