Upcoming Movies

Started by Leon, 30 August 2018, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mmcv

19 March 2020, 07:19:31 AM #45 Last Edit: 19 March 2020, 07:21:28 AM by mmcv
Quote from: Big Insect on 18 March 2020, 06:47:59 PM
Avoid the temptation to start watching Colony (sci-fi tv drama) on Netflixs.
Terrible.

I have to disagree, I watched it a while back and quite enjoyed it. I hope they do bring season 3 onto Netflix. It gave a good sense of the powerlessness of being under occupation, and the line between collaboration and survival. The fact you don't really see the aliens (other than their drones and ships) is a strength as invariably once you start showing the aliens too much they risk becoming silly. You don't know what they're up to because the people don't, though there's hints that'll hopefully be explored in season three.

I think it was cancelled more because it was essentially a drama with a bit of action rather than a flashy shooty bang bang type of sci fi so was difficult to justify the budget. There were a few bits that were a little off I'm sure, but can say that for just about anything. Overall worth a go for a few episodes to see if it's to taste, each to their own!

Matt J

I made it to episode 3, the decided, life's too short.
It had the guy from Lost in it I think (very apt  :D)
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

Raider4

Quote from: Big Insect on 18 March 2020, 06:47:59 PM
Avoid the temptation to start watching Colony (sci-fi tv drama) on Netflixs.

Not tried Colony, but have a couple of other series on Netflix. Both had one thing in common - gut-wrenchingly slow pacing, filling out 10 hours when the thing should have been wrapped up in three.

FierceKitty

DEVS, however, shews what TV can do these days if it tries.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

BBC have stopped filming East Enders  :D, Holby City  ;D, Casualty  ;D, Peaky Blinders  :( and Line of Duty  :(. Unfortunately they have enough of the soaps filmed to keep showing them. Info from Media Show on R4 yesterday. 
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Big Insect

Quote from: mmcv on 19 March 2020, 07:19:31 AM
I have to disagree, I watched it a while back and quite enjoyed it. ... each to their own!

Glad you enjoyed it mmcv ... but not for me. I felt that even the drama was lame. I think I like a bit more action and a lot more alien in my sci-fi diet.

I was also not hugely impressed with Altered Carbon II - the first series was much more true to the books - which I thoroughly enjoyed - and I had great hope for series II as the Fallen Angels book is a really great sci-fi read.
I felt they really missed a trick with the whole 'uncleared' and auto-machine warfare bit. We've used it as a theme for a couple of really good FWC machine-bug hunt type scenario games.
Maybe they will expand things more into series III, but I do think that they have more than slightly lost the plot (from the books) abouy just how bleak it all is for Kovach.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

mmcv

Quote from: Big Insect on 19 March 2020, 09:35:44 AM
Glad you enjoyed it mmcv ... but not for me. I felt that even the drama was lame. I think I like a bit more action and a lot more alien in my sci-fi diet.

I was also not hugely impressed with Altered Carbon II - the first series was much more true to the books - which I thoroughly enjoyed - and I had great hope for series II as the Fallen Angels book is a really great sci-fi read.
I felt they really missed a trick with the whole 'uncleared' and auto-machine warfare bit. We've used it as a theme for a couple of really good FWC machine-bug hunt type scenario games.
Maybe they will expand things more into series III, but I do think that they have more than slightly lost the plot (from the books) abouy just how bleak it all is for Kovach.

I really enjoyed season one of Altered Carbon but only managed to get a few episodes into season two so far and found it a bit of a drag so haven't really been inclined to go back to it. Seems to have deflated somewhat after the first season.

Sounds like fun games though!

Big Insect

19 March 2020, 02:18:12 PM #52 Last Edit: 19 March 2020, 02:50:31 PM by Big Insect
Yes - it was a big multi-player 6mm FWC game - player could build up their own decom-squads - ground troops & vehicles - no air as the orbitals would frazz them (all from restricted lists) as specified by Mandrake Corp as to what it would transport to the Green Zone on the edge of the uncleared. So certain weapon types were banned as they could not be risked to fall into the hands of the bio-mechs (mimots).

The terrain was a huge battered futuristic city-scape* - players all started along the same base edge and then advanced into the 'uncleared', building by building or ruin by ruin, dicing to see what was in each area they had to clear. Nearer the Green Zone the mimots were small and few but the numbers got worse and the mimots got bigger the deeper the teams progressed into the 'uncleared'.

* I think Shedman might have some photos - i am terrible at uploading anything to the forum.

Each player had an objective (at the opposite end of the table) to reach and gather some specific special resource - it might be a secure bunker (with tactical code), a hospital (with some off-world archaeological team hold-up in it to rescue) or a power station to bring back on-line to power a lazer-wire defence system etc.etc.
There were also large colonies of razor-wings that had nested on the derelict skyscrapers and also 'scythe-beasts' (my own nasty addition) - large predators with adaptive-camo abilities and free ambush capabilities - that were roaming the abandoned city looking to hunt and pray on the teams.
There were also random Alien artefacts to be found in the dig sites across the table - which the teams were keen to get hold of as they were worth far more points than anything else.
Teams got points for mimots destroyed - the bigger the mimot the bigger the points (credit) score. Likewise they got points for securing their own objectives.
In theory they were supposed to assist each other ... "yeah, right!"

We ran it at one of our regular FWC Boot Camp Events. We ran it with 8 players (DeCom Teams) and 2 umpires - and it took most of a day to play to it's grizzly conclusion. Some teams just didn't make it sadly  ;D ;D ;D
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Big Insect

In fact there is already a photo on this very site ...http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17884.0.html  ... in the FWC 2019 Boot Camp thread.
And it was the Woken Furies game not Fallen Angels ... I was mistaken.
But still it was huge fun.

I'd certainly run it again on a weekend if we got enough players - post the virus apocalypse of course  :(

mmcv

Quote from: Big Insect on 19 March 2020, 02:31:24 PM
In fact there is already a photo on this very site ...http://www.pendrakenforum.co.uk/index.php/topic,17884.0.html  ... in the FWC 2019 Boot Camp thread.
And it was the Woken Furies game not Fallen Angels ... I was mistaken.
But still it was huge fun.

I'd certainly run it again on a weekend if we got enough players - post the virus apocalypse of course  :(

Looks epic!

Big Insect

Great fun .... I'd like to see it done in a bigger scale.

It was also fun finding and buying the mimots - all sorts of assorted combat robot types were used.

mmcv

Quote from: mmcv on 19 March 2020, 01:05:06 PM
I really enjoyed season one of Altered Carbon but only managed to get a few episodes into season two so far and found it a bit of a drag so haven't really been inclined to go back to it. Seems to have deflated somewhat after the first season.

Sounds like fun games though!

Turns out we've watched almost all of the series, but just felt like we hadn't as so little of interest seemed to happen. Did notice an anime version there, Altered Carbon Resleeved. Wonder if it's any better.

Matt J

Watched Danger close: battle for long tan, on Netflix.
Very good for those interested in Viet Nam, nice to see the war from a Aussie kiwi viewpoint. Also charging ACAV action and had that viking chap in it.
2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

flamingpig0

Have been watching The Boys on Amazon Prime, it somehow seems to be a TV show that perfectly captures the zeitgeist
"I like coffee exceedingly..."
 H.P. Lovecraft

"We don't want your stupid tanks!" 
Salah Askar,

My six degrees of separation includes Osama Bin Laden, Hitler, and Wendy James

fsn

I watched season 1.  Saving season 2 for a cold, wet weekend. 
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!