Upcoming Movies

Started by Leon, 30 August 2018, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pierre the shy

KV1 Strong  :)

Seems to be a lot of authentic kit used in this trailer.....looks pretty good, just need some sub titles.
Though much is taken, much abides; and though
we are not now that strength which in old days
moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are.

Sunray

This might be the time to mention that Braveheart made use of Reenactment societies.

Yeah ! The Irish Defence Force.  1,500 troops as extras at the Curragh.   Its still on youtube

Leman

Watched Outlaw/King last night. What an improvement on Brave Heart! This time round the Scots actually looked like medieval Scots, no woad and no kilts, but plenty of padded linen protection (aqueton?). Some of the nobles sported mail and surcoats, not to mention some helmets and flat iron shields. Bruce's tactics using pits. stakes and the natural morass of the landscape was really well shown. I did notice that Tony Pollard was a historical consultant. Maybe slightly slower beginning than Brave Heart but a much more measured film with a superb finale of the Battle of Loudon Hill. Well worth a watch especially for those interested in medieval warfare.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

d_Guy

Thanks for that review, Leman. The wife and I were debating whether to watch the thing (there is only so much time available), think we will now give it a go.
Sleep with clean hands ...

pierre the shy

I have been a busy boy today, just finished watching Outlaw King with Mrs Shy and I would echo Leman's commmets, well worth 2 hours of your time Bill  ;)

d_Guy

Thanks,
Scheduled for this week.

petercooman

Outlaw king was great! watched it yesterday and found it very nicely done. battle at the end is top notch!

Womble67

Me and the Wife watched the captain last night, we thoroughly enjoyed the film but couldn't understand his lack of compassion for his fellow deserters considering he was one

Take care

Andy
The Wargames Directory

The Wargames Directory Facebook

2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

d_Guy

Wife and I watched the Outlaw King last night and both enjoyed it. With 45 minutes left I wondered aloud to my wife how they were going to get all the way to Bannockburn. But then saw what they did. Clever (and within budget)! Like the various nods to spiders and their webs.
In discussing its look compared to Braveheart my wife noted that only similarity seemed to be that the English don't come off very well!  :)

Noktu

14 January 2019, 05:29:25 PM #24 Last Edit: 14 January 2019, 05:35:11 PM by Noktu
Something you guys might be interested in. Airs sometime 2019.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8883486/

Big Insect

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 16 September 2018, 09:10:59 PM
This might be the time to mention that Braveheart made use of Reenactment societies.

Hmmm ... yes ... one particular reenactment society - The Clan - which is actually more of a cult than a re-enactment society in any true sense of the word!
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Noktu on 14 January 2019, 05:29:25 PM
Something you guys might be interested in. Airs sometime 2019.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt8883486/

A battalion of arrow shooting Vickers guns?

Ithoriel

"... then we will fight in the shade!" :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

pierre the shy

In other news, for the aerially inclined amongst us looks like Pete Mitchell is returning to the danger zone in 2020......in a F-18 this time....those pesky MiG 28's better look out  ;) 

https://youtu.be/FIskWMtCFAw

Sorry I can never get embedding to work properly.....

paulr

The letters/numbers after the slash FIskWMtCFAw go inside the Youtube tags
{youtube}FIskWMtCFAw{/youtube}
Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!