Upcoming Movies

Started by Leon, 30 August 2018, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leon

There seems to be quite a few historical / war-themed films coming up over the next 12 months, so is anyone planning on watching any of these?

Hurricane:

T-34:

The Captain:

Operation Finale:
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

petercooman

Looks like a few interesting ones. Had seen the Trailer for hurricane already, and will be watching that one!

Steve J

Quite a few of those look to be of interest. Thanks for the 'heads up' :)

Leman

Strange how the Earth was created in 1939.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Henning Wehn says German history only starts in 1948, b3fore that, nothing!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

That goes some way to explaining the popularity of the Korean War as a gaming period.

steve_holmes_11

Opened the worm can here. You know that a sample of reviews will be:

"Officer's belt was one discontinued in 1942, totally ruled the 1944 atmosphere for me."
"That weapon wasn't issued until 2 months afre the end of the story - made a nonsense of the entire film".
"Tracer shooting from an MG 34 - ohhh the humanity!!!"
"Totally inappropriate tracks on the T34 for a winter battle - how can anybody watch this".

Then in 6 month's time.

"Nobody makes films aimed at a wargamer audience - the PC brigade strike again".

fsn

I tend to be quite charitable to film makers in this regard, but there are a lot of source materials out there so it's very often easier to get it right than get it wrong.

We've come a long way since M48 Tigers and M24 Shermans.  I think there's a trend to getting re-enactment societies involved, so standards are a lot better than they used to be. In fact, now that the authenticity of uniforms has gone up, the standards of writing seem to be plummeting.*  Perhaps I just didn't notice the poor script in "The Battle of the Bulge" because I was decrying the poor choice of armoured vehicle.

*Take "Fury". I have a large, well armoured but quite slow moving Tiger tank. I am in cover. I see 5 Shermans lined up nicely. I pop off a couple then charge over the open ground, closing the distance to a point where even a 75mm can do me serious damage, upsetting the gunner's aim and generally sacrificing all my advantages for a closer look at Brad Pitt.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

It's Brad Pitt, why wouldnt you!  8)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Leman

One reason I really enjoy WWII films is that I don't game it, so know sod all about what gun goes where, how shiny SS boots should be etc. Unfortunately I do game an awful lot of the earlier periods, so get brassed off with TV documentaries showing French in Adrian helmets and British in shrapnel helmets whilst discussing 1914. I know there was less film footage then, but there were plenty of photographs (the French even had colour ones) and paintings. I'd rather the masses did get a bit of education rather than pandering to the constant need for a moving image. Or are the politicians wrong and the British public actually is stupid  :d

Westmarcher

Quote from: Leman on 31 August 2018, 07:52:53 PM
Strange how the Earth was created in 1939.

Hopefully, this will help to redress the balance, Andy (although, already, I have seen some mumblings - but surely it cannot be worse than the historical cart crash that was Braveheart! ?).

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Leman

Who knows - at least RB doesn't appear to be covered in woad.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: fsn on 11 September 2018, 08:04:10 AM
I tend to be quite charitable to film makers in this regard, but there are a lot of source materials out there so it's very often easier to get it right than get it wrong.

We've come a long way since M48 Tigers and M24 Shermans.  I think there's a trend to getting re-enactment societies involved, so standards are a lot better than they used to be. In fact, now that the authenticity of uniforms has gone up, the standards of writing seem to be plummeting.*  Perhaps I just didn't notice the poor script in "The Battle of the Bulge" because I was decrying the poor choice of armoured vehicle.

*Take "Fury". I have a large, well armoured but quite slow moving Tiger tank. I am in cover. I see 5 Shermans lined up nicely. I pop off a couple then charge over the open ground, closing the distance to a point where even a 75mm can do me serious damage, upsetting the gunner's aim and generally sacrificing all my advantages for a closer look at Brad Pitt.

This might be the time to mention that Braveheart made use of Reenactment societies.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Leman on 11 September 2018, 10:39:20 AM
One reason I really enjoy WWII films is that I don't game it, so know sod all about what gun goes where, how shiny SS boots should be etc. Unfortunately I do game an awful lot of the earlier periods, so get brassed off with TV documentaries showing French in Adrian helmets and British in shrapnel helmets whilst discussing 1914. I know there was less film footage then, but there were plenty of photographs (the French even had colour ones) and paintings. I'd rather the masses did get a bit of education rather than pandering to the constant need for a moving image. Or are the politicians wrong and the British public actually is stupid  :d

The politicians know, they simply aren't letting on.

Leon

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!