Upcoming Movies

Started by Leon, 30 August 2018, 11:18:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ithoriel

I have high hopes ... but low expectations for "The Witcher"

The film of the game of the book!!! :)

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Ithoriel

""I heard that Witchers wear two swords, one for Monsters and one for Humans."

"You're wrong, both are for Monsters"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Noktu

Quote from: Ithoriel on 24 July 2019, 11:24:27 PM
""I heard that Witchers wear two swords, one for Monsters and one for Humans."

"You're wrong, both are for Monsters"

So epic!

I'm afraid that the Americans will just ruin the show with their twisted political agendas and whatnot.

Noktu

Quote from: Noktu on 31 July 2019, 06:59:54 AM
So epic!

I'm afraid that the Americans will just ruin the show with their twisted political agendas and whatnot.

Apparently it has already been ruined by political correctness and inclusivity. Indian Yennefer for eaxmple...

Big Insect

I made the mistake of starting to watch 'Another Life' on Netflix - that was a huge mistake.
Is it me. Am I getting old & prudish. Or does a film/series really have to have the cast saying "wat the f**k!' every other sentence!
As for the plot line - strewth - even early editions of Star Trek have more complexity.

A definite '-10 out of 10' rating from me. Not even any really cool alien baddies either.

I am however, greatly looking forward to the next in the Altered Carbon franchise ... being a big fan of the books
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

Glorfindel

>>Or does a film/series really have to have the cast saying "wat the f**k!' every other sentence!

The most obvious example of this change in culture we came across is in the US political series "Designated
Survivor".   

Series 1 & 2 were almost swear free but with Series 3, every sentence is effin this and effin that.   It felt
really odd.   Perhaps its the result of the 'Game of Thrones' effect (sex and swearing pushed to the max
now sells and has become expected).

I have no problem with swearing on the telly (or naked ladies !!) but overuse just kills any sense of impact
it can have.

Phil

Ben Waterhouse

Quote from: Glorfindel on 01 August 2019, 03:15:10 PM
>>Or does a film/series really have to have the cast saying "wat the f**k!' every other sentence!

The most obvious example of this change in culture we came across is in the US political series "Designated
Survivor".   

Series 1 & 2 were almost swear free but with Series 3, every sentence is effin this and effin that.   It felt
really odd.   Perhaps its the result of the 'Game of Thrones' effect (sex and swearing pushed to the max
now sells and has become expected).

I have no problem with swearing on the telly (or naked ladies !!) but overuse just kills any sense of impact
it can have.

Phil

Well I do, it ain't genteel, and I am no longer a 14 year old oik...
Arma Pacis Fulcra

Dr Dave

I can't seem to post the you tube link, but seek out "Danger Close" to watch the trailer. Out soon.

Ithoriel

Orcs

Looks like this thread is now on hold until at least the end of April  :(
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

jimduncanuk

Quote from: Orcs on 18 March 2020, 09:37:30 AM
Looks like this thread is now on hold until at least the end of April  :(

Not a problem, I only just caught up with Goldfinger.
My Ego forbids a signature.

hammurabi70

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOgI7TAA3H4
Robert the Bruce

Slow motion BRAVEHEART; another advertisement for the SNP.

Big Insect

Avoid the temptation to start watching Colony (sci-fi tv drama) on Netflixs.
Terrible.
Slow - 3 series (and then it got canned)

You see no aliens other than a few model space ships in series 1 & 2 (other than some human looking robot thing and that just lies there having been knocked out by an IED)

The plot is so unbelievably lame that it probably takes the prize as almost the most naff sci-fi tv series ever.
Apparently it was all based on the idea of Vichy French collaboration in WW2 Paris ... and there you have the whole thing. Apparently Steven King thought it was original and outstanding ... I wonder how much they paid him!

You get no real idea what the aliens are up to, unless that is disclosed in series 3 which is not yet on Netflix and probably never will be now. But there are even vague references to a concentration camp - The Factory (on the moon!) ... strewth.

To say the plot is thin is an understatement and it's almost impossible to have any form of empathy for any of the characters! And you can spot a mile away where the script writers got bored or lost the plot (willingness to live) and characters just get deported or shot to get them out of the way or draw a weak story line to a conclusion.

I wasted too much of my precious life, waiting in vain hope that the early hours of tedious character building I'd had to suffer in series 1 would eventually lead to something better in series 2 only to be hopelessly disappointed.

If you spot it on your Netflix list - be firm and give it the thumbs down! You wont regret it.

Mark
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.

FierceKitty

Steven King's one gold star with the recording angel - and he won't like it - is that he gave Kubrick the material for a brilliant movie.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.