British and German Platoons for Chain of Command

Started by xccam, 28 August 2018, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Ithoriel

There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Noktu

Really like these! Looking forward to see some more of your recent work!

Techno

Orcs

Quote from: Dr Dave on 29 August 2018, 10:24:29 PM
Curiously, I know firearms designers and trainers who despise the MG42 and think it worse than useless! Too heavy, too hungry, too many barrel changes. Fine in a fixed position - rubbish when moving forward.

The ammo and barrel changes, was one of the reasons D-Day was not the disaster they had feared.  The troops in the bunkers and Trenches could not get resupplied with ammo and barrels due to the artillery fire, causing asevee drop in the rate of fire.
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Orcs on 07 April 2020, 09:13:11 AM
The ammo and barrel changes, was one of the reasons D-Day was not the disaster they had feared.  The troops in the bunkers and Trenches could not get resupplied with ammo and barrels due to the artillery fire, causing asevee drop in the rate of fire.

Not a lot of people know that (I didn't).

Jolly handy that our lads hadn't forgotten a few old tricks like the 1917 box barrage.

Ithoriel

One of my "honorary uncles" who rose to be a major in WW2 and served as, among other things, liaison officer with the Gurkhas used to say that, if you had the choice, take an MG42 in defence and a Bren in attack.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

hammurabi70

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 29 August 2018, 09:19:55 PM
Excellent look: do you have a bit of the 1-2-3 basing going on there too?

There seems to have been no clarification on this?  Would anyone care to do so?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: Ithoriel on 15 April 2020, 09:58:34 PM
One of my "honorary uncles" who rose to be a major in WW2 and served as, among other things, liaison officer with the Gurkhas used to say that, if you had the choice, take an MG42 in defence and a Bren in attack.

If you have to carry it take a Bren - carried an L4 and GPMG - L4 is lighter and you dont have a belt to trip over or snag in the grass.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

fred.

Insert Quote
Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 29-08-2018, 21:19:55
Excellent look: do you have a bit of the 1-2-3 basing going on there too?

Quote from: hammurabi70 on 15 April 2020, 11:48:48 PM
There seems to have been no clarification on this?  Would anyone care to do so?

I would think it refers to the basing concept from Mikel Leck, written up in Pikeman's Lament, but quite likely in use before then. That gives a mix of single and multi-basing to make troops a bit easier to move in skirmish / small unit games. Basically for 6 figures, you base them on 3 bases, 1 with 1 figure, 1 with 2 figures and 1 with 3 figures. So you have fewer bases to move, but can still distribute your figures around in a skirmish formation, and can remove different numbers of casualties easily. 
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

xccam

Yeah it's pretty much just for casualty removal.

Thank you.