British and German Platoons for Chain of Command

Started by xccam, 28 August 2018, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xccam

Hi all,
Recently finished painting the cores to 2 Chain of Command forces, using Pendraken models so a battle needn't take up much space at all.

British Platoon

Platoon HQ
Lieutenant
Platoon Sergeant
Piat Team
2" mortar Team

Sections A - C
Corporal
six riflemen
Bren Gun with 3 crew

Platoon Support
2" Mortar
Universal carrier (4 crew, bren gun)

German Platoon

Platoon HQ
Unterfeldwebel
Panzerschreck Team

Squads 1-3
Obergefreiter
MG42 with 2 crew
7 riflemen

Platoon Support
Panzerschreck Team
Pak 36 with Stielgranate ammunition

I have a few supports to paint up for each platoon such as additional squads, armoured support and weapons teams - but I am happy with them for a week's worth of work.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Oh my (insert deity/deities of choice), those are incredible. Absolutely amazing.
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Steve J

fred.

Those are a bit good!! Great work.

We played quite a lot of CoC with 10mm figures, some multi-based some in pairs. I'm pretty sure we used the distances in the rules - which are pretty close to 10mm scale IIRC. It gave a really good look to the table - with the feel of distance. But if you want / need to play in a small area then dropping the distances to cm from inches would work well to compress the game.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

xccam

Thanks for the kind words.

@Fred at the moment the plan is to drop to cm, but if/when I build up enough ww2 terrain for a full 6'4' would definitely look good to scale the game back up all the way!

Sunray

This is 5 star eye candy !

Proves the point that Pendraken 10mm have enough personality and detail to be individually based.  Cof C works on what ? 12" = 40 yards .  Shows 10mm with detail and good paint work can replace 15mm.

Thank you very much for sharing, and look forward to battle reports!  :-bd

Steeleye

Very nice...but that's not a two inch mortar and where's the PIAT? If the Germans have that Panzer-thingy-bazooka-knock-off the Brits should have a PIAT. Also why the Carrier? That should be over in the carrier platoon doing recon, not 'supporting' rifle platoons.

sunjester

Jolly good chaps!

I put together several platoons for CoC in 10mm when the rules first came out. It didn't mean playing in a smaller area but the ground scale looked more realistic (Rich did tell me once that the ground scale for CoC was somewhere between 15mm and 10mm).

Unfortunately everyone else insisted on playing with "giants", 20mm and even 28mm, which I think really crowds a 6x4 table.

toxicpixie

They look ace, and I bet they look much better and in scale on the table than the 28's too!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting

Matt J

2012 Painting Competition - Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!
2014 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2015 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
Beep

xccam

Quote from: Steeleye on 29 August 2018, 07:13:12 AM
Very nice...but that's not a two inch mortar and where's the PIAT? If the Germans have that Panzer-thingy-bazooka-knock-off the Brits should have a PIAT. Also why the Carrier? That should be over in the carrier platoon doing recon, not 'supporting' rifle platoons.
You are quite right, I chose 3" mortars for ease of "scanning" the battlefield and identifying the mortar single based at a distance.
The PIAT actually to the right of the 2 mortars, hidden mostly behind a man firing his rifle.
As for the carrier - Chain of Command gives many options for "support" and I wanted one of the most iconic AFVs the Brits can take.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Very good stuff. Corse they are numbered, not lettered sections, and the PIAT was a compamy level weapon, which might be issued to a platoon....  ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

toxicpixie

Given that despite their ubiquity no one could quite decide what to do or how to use their Carriers, it's no way unfeasible to have one stooging around "supporting" the infantry. Probably having just brought up a vital under armour (ho-ho) delivery of cigarettes, tea and bully beef sandwiches ;)

Come for the sarnies & cuppa, stay for the gun fire!
I provide a cheap, quick painting service to get you table top quality figures ready to roll - www.facebook.com/jtppainting