Auldearn, 1645

Started by d_Guy, 26 August 2018, 06:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d_Guy

I continue to entertain myself with multiple slow motion re-plays of the Battle of Auldearn. My love affair with the For King and Parliament rules continues unabated.

Below are a few pics and links to more pictures and details of each scenario.
A view of Auldearn from the west:

The Gardiner Gambit: The classic interpretation in which Montrose brilliantly draws General Hurry's Covenanters toward the weak Royalist center while preparing a concealed hammer blow against Hurry's exposed right flank. The trap was almost ruined by MacColla leading his men forward in the early stages of the battle.

MacColla has his forces far forward on Garlic Hill as General Hurry pulls his army to the center to attack them:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/07/19/playing-the-gardiner-gambit/

A Gordon, A Gordon: The Gardiner Gambit but with MacColla restrained from going too far forward and the hammer blow of the Gordon horse and supporting foot on the Conenanter right flank perfectly timed.

The Gordon horse prepare to take Hurry in the flank:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/07/25/a-gordon-a-gordon/

A Shot in the Dark: Currently the most popular view of the battle in which Montrose was caught completely surprised by Hurry's night march and MacColla staves off defeat with a desperate defense while Montrose marshals the rest of army.

Part of the Covenanter army deploys in the morning mist:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/08/03/playing-a-shot-in-the-dark/

A Set Piece Battle: Some sources suggest that Montrose was in full battle array as Hurry approached and something very much like a set-piece battle occurred.

MacKenzie bowmen annoy the Strathavan Gordons across the low ground:

https://inredcoatragsattired.com/2018/08/25/playing-the-set-piece-battle/
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

paulr

Lord Lensman of Wellington
2018 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Great work D'Guy on all of these scenarios. I've learnt a lot about a period that I only have a passing knowledge of. Keep up the good work!

Leman

Great looking battle and battlefield.
The artist formerly known as Dour Puritan!

Ithoriel

Looks very good indeed.
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Westmarcher

Interesting to read about the different outcomes which, so far, favour the Covenanters, Bill. Looking forward to see what the result of the sixth run through will be.   :-bd :-B
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

paulr

Definitely a really interesting read so far, my train trip to work is too short for me to read them all in one trip ;)
More to read on the way home tonight

FierceKitty

Really Garlic Hill? Wonderful name.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

paulr

Really enjoyed reading the other versions on the train ride home :)

Pierre the Shy has warned me we will be playing these once he has a suitable number of Scots painted :!!

d_Guy

Thanks for all the comments folks.

Paul, tell Pierre to hurry up with his painting.  ;).
I really want see the outcomes you get.

Steve, I probably won't play the last scenario again, can't figure out how to get the Covenanters to win (short of stacking the deck  :P).

Kitty, it is Garlic Hill on even the earliest OS maps but can't guarantee that's what the locals called at the time. There is apparently an indigenous wild garlic that is fairly pungent even from a distance so maybe it has always been called that. 
Encumbered by Idjits, we pressed on

Norm

Very nice Bill, some evocative shots there.

mollinary

Excellent stuff, Bill, your perseverance  is admirable. Once again your blog is a fascinating combination of insight and analysis.
2021 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up!

Terry37

Bill, Truly exceptional! Great looking table, and figures and fun looking games. You do a truly awesome set up!!!

Terry
"My heart has joined the thousand for a friend stopped running today." Mr. Richard Adams

sunjester

That's a really nice looking set up!