Pendraken Zoo gets an expansion!

Started by Leon, 24 August 2018, 10:12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shedman

what an excellent range but, sadly, I still can't do The Wizard of Oz in 10mm  ;)

Sunray

Quote from: Techno on 25 August 2018, 10:11:45 AM
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Oh...Good....I'm glad I didn't imagine that.

We knew she was feeling better when she kicked the cr*p out of me. (Again, sadly, this is all true.)

Cheers - Phil

Take it as a form of endearment .  An old farmer up the mountain behind me, breeds donkeys as equestrian  companions ( a lone horse is inclined to fret ) The donkey mating ritual is something else.  The mare's idea of foreplay is ....to kick the cr*p out of the stud she fancies...........

Ithoriel

Quote from: Steve J on 25 August 2018, 07:16:32 AM
Some great additions there :). Now do you paint the zebras black with white stripes, or white with black stripes? Answers on a postcard... ;) :D

Well recent genetic research has found that they are black animals with white stripes and belly, apparently.

Personally I'm eyeing them up as Pleistocene horses for my Tribal campaign. Cavemen have to eat :)

Bit of greenstuff on the tails and a grullo paintjob they should look the business. Possibly a tad short but "good enough for army work!"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fred.

Cool.

Thinking about which will be useful set dressing for various periods / areas.

Have you thought about marketing the animal range (and possibly some of the figures) to the N gauge railway crowd? You can probably charge 3x normal price as well?
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Leon

Quote from: fred. on 25 August 2018, 05:22:05 PM
Have you thought about marketing the animal range (and possibly some of the figures) to the N gauge railway crowd? You can probably charge 3x normal price as well?

Possibly, I'll have a look.  We've got some animals coming in bigger scales as well so once they're all online we'll be putting them on eBay to hit that wider market.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

SV52

I can see some great HOTT armies on the horizon. Just have to do Animal Farm v wildlife. What do folks use for modern civilians?
"The time has come, the walrus said..."

2017 Paint-Off - Winner!

parkerm17

Having read the very interesting piece on the costs of introducing a new range, I am left pondering who is going to buy a wide range of zoo animals in 10mm?   I can remember watching on TV the news reports of the Korean War and, again, I wonder just who is going to wargame that conflict?   There are a lot of holes in the ranges (Peninsular War for one, Wellington in India, expending the Crimean War range etc.) and some of the choices for new ranges strike me as "odd".   I wonder whatever happened to the Indian Mutiny range?   I have given up waiting.

Duke Speedy of Leighton

These were sculpted a while back, and were in the molding queue, often figures are previewed and then there is a gap before release, so Indian Mutiny will follow in due course.

And I'll be buying some, I have plans for the lions already. ;)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

Quote from: mad lemmey on 28 August 2018, 09:04:03 AM
And I'll be buying some, I have plans for the lions already. ;)

With a large white loaf maybe - Bread and Circuses ?   ;)
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Forez42

2018 Painting Competition - Winner!
2021 Painting Competition - 2 x Winner!
2021 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2022 Painting Competition - Winner!
2022 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2023 Painting Competition - Winner!
2023 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2024 Painting Competition - 3 x Winner!

Leon

Quote from: parkerm17 on 28 August 2018, 08:46:31 AM
Having read the very interesting piece on the costs of introducing a new range, I am left pondering who is going to buy a wide range of zoo animals in 10mm?

The first batch we did have sold really well so that prompted this second batch.  If sales continue to be good on this lot, we might look at getting a third set done.

I can remember watching on TV the news reports of the Korean War and, again, I wonder just who is going to wargame that conflict?

The Korean War range was a couple of reasons, firstly it's place in the Top 10 requested ranges and then also our expansion of the post-war conflicts.  Working in a roughly chronological order, it was the first one to get ticked off.

There are a lot of holes in the ranges (Peninsular War for one, Wellington in India, expending the Crimean War range etc.) and some of the choices for new ranges strike me as "odd".

I think we've mentioned a few times that the Peninsular will get done but we need to finish off the 1809 and 1815 periods first.  I don't like leaving ranges incomplete (can they ever be complete though!) so once we've got the D-B's for Waterloo and then some minor nations/states for 1809, we should be free to go and do the Peninsular.

Wellington in India would be another natural progression once other Naps ranges are done.

Crimea is getting done next year, we've already got that one pencilled in as a full range revamp.

I wonder whatever happened to the Indian Mutiny range?   I have given up waiting.

That one was only previewed a few months back, I think the last batch of figure sculpts arrived in May.  We're still waiting on the artillery pieces to arrive though, so we've started making master moulds but the production moulds will have to be delayed until we've got the guns.
www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Leon on 28 August 2018, 12:41:15 PM
The first batch we did have sold really well so that prompted this second batch.  If sales continue to be good on this lot, we might look at getting a third set done.

Can I suggest ravens (and kites/buzzards or even vultures) if this ever happens - I needed carrion birds to set the scene for a D&D5 encounter with dead horses. The chickens and geese served proxy, but it wasn't quite the same  ;)

Probably look great on casualty markers  8)

Cheers!

Meirion
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Ithoriel

Quote from: O Dinas Powys on 28 August 2018, 12:59:03 PM
The chickens and geese served proxy, but it wasn't quite the same  ;)

Pharaoh's Chickens?

"The Egyptian vulture (Neophron percnopterus), also called the white scavenger vulture or pharaoh's chicken"
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

fsn

The first batch we did have sold really well so that prompted this second batch.  If sales continue to be good on this lot, we might look at getting a third set done.
May I suggest vulture, hyena, crocodile (waterline), hippo (waterline), cheetah and aardvark with a Sten gun?

The Korean War range was a couple of reasons, firstly it's place in the Top 10 requested ranges and then also our expansion of the post-war conflicts.  
I've done some more work on the Brits this weekend. They are really, really good. The 2" mortar is exemplary, the NCO pointing with the rifle is lovely, and the radio/officer set is a joy. My only criticism is the Bren is a bit short*, ... OK ... my only 2 criticisms are the Bren is too short and the Bazooka team is prone ... and ... my only three criticisms are the Bren is too short, the Bazooka team is prone and there's no Sten gunner. 

I don't like leaving ranges incomplete (can they ever be complete though!)
No. Never complete. The League of Ausberg needs some Grenadiers wondering if they'd have been better off in the Navy, and an officer who is sure he felt something move in his boot.  

*Somewhere I've got a photo of someone carrying a Bren ... must see if I can dig it out.  :D

Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 28 August 2018, 01:12:14 PM
*Somewhere I've got a photo of someone carrying a Bren ... must see if I can dig it out.  :D

You've got that saved on your computer, haven't you ?........You OIK !!

Cheers - Phil