Suggestions for 10mm Flight Stands?

Started by MiniPatton, 24 August 2018, 10:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MiniPatton

I have a number of 1/144 scale helicopters I would like to find stands for. I have some Litko stands I use for my 3mm forces, but they don't really do the trick. The helicopters range in size from AH-1 Cobra to SH-53 Sea Stallion and a number in between. Anyone know of a good source or successful home project that may work?

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

If you dont need them on the ground then use a metal pin in the aircraft, and a plastic tube on suitable sized base (I had to use a CD for my 1/300th B52), for stuff you want landed use a stell rod and mini magnets, but not too small....

Some will come with display stands, so you could replace the top with a magnet, and mount one on the model, but beware - polarity, and ensure that the glue is well dried, I'd use epoxy rather than super glue, the rare earth magnets are very strong.

IanS
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Duke Speedy of Leighton

Agreed, superglue is too brittle for magnets, it's the only time I don't use it!
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Dr Dave

I use circular mdf bases. Drill a small hole in the centre, insert a cocktail stick and pva in place. Texture the base and flock. Paint the vertical cocktail stick GREEN like the grass/table top. Drill a small hole in the bottom on the plane / helo. You spend most of the time looking DOWN on the model so a light blue or shiny Perspex vertical support looks daft if you ask me. You can cut the stick to whatever height you want. I've got a few cm for really low / landing helos up to 30 cm bbq skewers for F4 Phantoms in 10 mm.

Leon

We've got some clear rods and MDF bases that we can supply if anyone needs them, they're the ones under the Dragons here:

www.pendraken.co.uk - Now home to over 7000 products, including 4500 items for 10mm wargaming, plus MDF bases, Battlescale buildings, I-94 decals, Litko Gaming Aids, Militia Miniatures, Raiden Miniatures 1/285th aircraft, Red Vectors MDF products, Vallejo paints and much, much more!

Sunray

Quote from: Leon on 08 October 2018, 10:00:23 PM
We've got some clear rods and MDF bases that we can supply if anyone needs them, they're the ones under the Dragons here:

I like those !  Up until now I have been using the Drop zone Commander clear rods and clear stands.

Scorpio_Rocks

02 March 2020, 03:14:19 AM #6 Last Edit: 02 March 2020, 03:17:15 AM by Scorpio_Rocks
Mdf bases drill hole and use a metal rod

"Gentlemen, when the enemy is committed to a mistake - we must not interrupt him too soon."
Horatio Nelson.

FierceKitty

02 March 2020, 03:22:13 AM #7 Last Edit: 02 March 2020, 03:24:02 AM by FierceKitty
Transparent rather than opaque rod any day. I have tried both.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Shedman

Clear stands for me

Jagdstaffel 60 - known as Jasta Minute (FWC Hunter-Scavenger)

fsn

02 March 2020, 12:42:09 PM #9 Last Edit: 02 March 2020, 01:41:45 PM by fsn
Quote from: Dr Dave on 08 October 2018, 09:55:29 PM
I use circular mdf bases. Drill a small hole in the centre, insert a cocktail stick and pva in place. Texture the base and flock. Paint the vertical cocktail stick GREEN like the grass/table top. Drill a small hole in the bottom on the plane / helo. You spend most of the time looking DOWN on the model so a light blue or shiny Perspex vertical support looks daft if you ask me. You can cut the stick to whatever height you want. I've got a few cm for really low / landing helos up to 30 cm bbq skewers for F4 Phantoms in 10 mm.
I'm with the Dr - except I use florists' wire - but that's because I use it for the tiny aircraft.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Raider4

Quote from: Shedman on 02 March 2020, 08:15:56 AM
Clear stands for me

Heh, and now I'm hearing the theme song to Catch the Pigeon . . .

Techno

I prefer the Genesis song "Spot the pigeon"

('bout time I went out and shot a load of those flying rats. >:()

Cheers - Phil

Big Insect

02 March 2020, 06:47:47 PM #12 Last Edit: 02 March 2020, 06:53:05 PM by Big Insect
Quote from: Shedman on 02 March 2020, 08:15:56 AM
Clear stands for me

Coming to an FWC Boot Camp near you!!! If I remember correctly Al - they did rather well as most of the rest of us hadn't thought to buy any AA!!!

I'll look to do another FWC Boot Camp for later in 2020 as well ... germ warfare permitting.

Mark
PS: Clear plastic stands and MFD bases for me - I will have to give the Pendraken dragon flyer bases a go now I know they exist
PPS: is that Dr Evil (AKA Gordon) I espies in the background. In his now traditional "looking dangerously at the small print in the rules pose"!!!
PPPS: the new 6mm - 1:300th scale Age of Tyrants sci-fi range from Scotia Grendel has some terrific desert orientated hunter scavenger type troops and some really interesting new additions to any army in need of more combat drones.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.' Xenophon, The Anabasis

This communication has been written by a dyslexic person. If you have any trouble with the meaning of any of the sentences or words, please do not be afraid to ask for clarification. Remember that dyslexics are often high-level conceptualisers who provide "out of the box" thinking.