Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orcs

The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno II

Stop it  !  ;D ;D ;D

Cheers - Phil. :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

Oh......Go on. ;)

Raider4

Quote from: fsn on 13 March 2021, 08:55:10 AM
Looks like the gunner sometimes sits on the trail and braces his feet on the wheels. Don't know if that's helpful Phil.

Huh, bet they don't do it like that when someone is firing back at them.

Techno II

Ermmmm.... :-\

What on Earth does it mean when a 'cannon' barrel has a length of 31.4 cal.

How long does that equate to in either feet & inches, or centimeters ?

Asking for a friend. :^o :^o

Westmarcher

03 August 2021, 09:59:44 AM #321 Last Edit: 03 August 2021, 10:35:14 AM by Westmarcher
cal = calibre.

So, if the calibre is 3 inches, then the barrel length in your example is 94.2 inches. If it's 105mm, it's 31.4 x 105mm.   :-B

p.s. The length of the barrel is usually measured from muzzle to breech. I'm not sure what the measurement parameters are for muzzle loading cannon (i.e., is it the length of the external tube or simply measured from the muzzle to the internal end of the tube?).
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

I'd presume its measured on the internal length. I suspect there was no internetional standard though. You do often see guns described described as 75mm L30 or 40 (Lee and Sherman), 75mm L43/48 (Pnz IV F-J), etc. More lenght = more velocity but above L60 the barrel tends to whip, which degrades accuracy. So the Geman 75mmL70 and 88mmL71 are less accurate than they should be. Modern guns tend to be around L60 for high velocity weapons, howitesrs and other artillery peices are much less.

Orcs

We have now sent Techno to sleep
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Ithoriel

I do wonder if Phil is sometimes left feeling he knew more before our answers! :)
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Quote from: Ithoriel on 03 August 2021, 12:25:13 PM
I do wonder if Phil is sometimes left feeling he knew more before our answers! :)

Well he DID ask.... ;)

Ithoriel

Quote from: Lord Kermit of Birkenhead on 03 August 2021, 12:58:51 PM
Well he DID ask.... ;)

Child: Mummy where do I come from?

Mother: < long detailed explantion of human biology and reproduction>

Child: No Mummy, Hassan in my class comes from Syria. Where do I come from?
There are 100 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those who can work from incomplete data

Techno II

Quote from: Westmarcher on 03 August 2021, 09:59:44 AM
cal = calibre.
So, if the calibre is 3 inches, then the barrel length in your example is 94.2 inches. If it's 105mm, it's 31.4 x 105mm.   :-B

Thanks Davy.....Though it did take a while to stop the headache. X_X.

In the 'thing' I'm remaking.....The shell would have been 3 inches.....so I'd assumed that that would have been classed as the calibre.....That's what threw me.

(A Browning 50 cal machine gun is called 50 cal, because the bullet is 0.50 inches...isn't it ?..so how does that work, if the barrel is 45 inches in length ?....doesn't that make it a 22.5 calibre ?
No...don't tell me, I'll get another headache....I was virtually mainlining painkillers, yesterday. X_X)

I managed to find an old, perfectly side on, photo of the shooty thing, with a number of troops standing directly behind it....I thought I was going to have to guess their height, and work it from there.

Cheers - Phil ;)

OldenBUA

Calibre is the size of a gun barrel, so the cross section, as explained before. So .50 cal is indeed a half inch bullet size. For barrel length, if calibre is used it means simple multiplication, so cal should be read as calibres. A 40mm gun of 60 calibres (often written as L60), would be 40 x 60 = 2400mm = 2.4 m in length.

So same abbreviation (cal), but can mean two different things.

Note, a .50 cal HMG with 45" barrel length would ofcourse be L90.
Water is indeed the essential ingredient of life, because without water you can't make coffee!

Aander lu bin óók lu.

Quote from: Techno II on 04 August 2021, 07:40:04 AM

No...don't tell me, I'll get another headache....I was virtually mainlining painkillers, yesterday. X_X)

Gota give you a headachce - no it would be 0.5"L22.5