Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No where near as impressive if you are using themn in the open. The safe being almost full acted as tamping, and magnified the effect.
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

Techno II

And another...... :D

I'm doing a Goryunov machine gun, and I want to know if the 'trail' (?) was easily detachable.....The way I'm making the model, I'd prefer to leave it off completely......It'll (sort of) get in the way.

If that's a no-no, I'll have to fiddle about a bit...but not too severely......Just have to angle the wheels, so they're not at 90 degrees to the barrel.
Which looks like what was done in a few of the piccies I've looked at......I presume the firing arc of the gun wouldn't be too badly affected ?

Hope that question makes sense !

Cheers - Phil :)

JUst about interpreted the foriegn language. If it's a wheeled carriage then I'm afraid the answer is no. The wheels are there to circumvent the need to disassemble the weapon, and in theroy it's faster to get into action. Sorry Phil.  :(

Techno II

Thanks, Ian. :-bd

Pants !  ;)...I had a feeling that would be the case.....I'll just have to mess around a bit, to make the gun & gunner 'castable' as a single piece..then make the 'loader' as a separate part.

(The loader would have had to be a separate piece, anyway.)

fsn

Worse that than Phil. Looks like a split-ish  trail.
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Yes most Soviet SFMG and HMG have split trails. Occasionally they have to be manpacked (the US impression that Soviet infantry are supermen is correct here) and it also makes it easier to stow in vehicles. I suspect that the handle on the barrel is to facilitate barrel change rather than for carrying the gun. Looks too bigger load for one man with one arm.

steve_holmes_11

A carry-handle would be near the centre of mass.
The pivot point is a pretty good guess if you don't have an example to hand.

Any handle on the barrel almost certainly for barrel change.

Techno II

Quote from: fsn on 12 March 2021, 09:49:09 AM
Worse that than Phil. Looks like a split-ish  trail.

That's a sod.  =).....But thanks for pointing that out, Nobby !  :-bd

I would have made it as a single........But, if I make it as a split, to start with, it'll be easier to turn it into a single trail later......
There are bits of this model that are going to be a swine to make.....'Cos I won't be able to get the dental tool(s) where I want to.

Mind you....I'm not going to have to paint it ! ;)

Thanks, again, Guys.

John Cook

SCW 68 Maxim M10 is on what is essentially the same wheeled carriage.  The gunner, more or less, obscures the trail.

Techno II

I'm 'copying' a b/w photo of some Egyptians using it, John. ;)

They appear to be 'up in some hills', and have got the gun raised on 'some rocks', so the guy firing it is either kneeling in a very upright pose....or he just possibly could be standing.
(But I don't think he is....The gunner and loader's legs are hidden from view, which is why I can't tell for certain.)

I'm doing the gun in an equivalent raised position, so Matey can't kneel over/astride the trail...It'll have to go to one side.

I found another (colour) piccy of two chaps who look VERY old, using a similar gun......and they too have it raised in front of them.....almost as though they're in some sort of foxhole.(?)
Again, can't see where the trail is. :(.....It has to be to one side. (I think)

Thanks !

Cheers - Phil. :)

John Cook

Have a look at this article, you might find it useful.  https://soldat.pro/en/2018/06/30/ctankovyi-pylemet-gorunova-sg-43-patron-kalibr-762-mm/

For what it is worth, it seems that some SG 43 had a single trail wheeled mount.   

fsn

Looks like the gunner sometimes sits on the trail and braces his feet on the wheels. Don't know if that's helpful Phil.

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015

Techno II

No, no, no, no.......I'm doing it as I've planned now.  :P

No-one is sitting on their 'behind', like that.

I can't wait to get back to 'fantasy Amazons'...I get a real headache doing 'historical' stuff....There's too many ways of 'doing it right'.

But I do thank you all, for your input. ;)

Cheers - Phil. :)

Orcs

Quote from: Techno II on 13 March 2021, 12:47:13 PM
[
I can't wait to get back to 'fantasy Amazons'...

So you want to do Duckmen then?  :)
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

fsn

Quote from: Techno II on 13 March 2021, 12:47:13 PM
I can't wait to get back to 'fantasy Amazons'...

Yeah, I've had that dream ...