Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 28 June 2020, 08:21:28 AM
Does anyone know if there's a name for 'shape dyslexia'. (Only way I can describe it.)

I often really struggle with trying to make sense of a 'two dimensional image' and get my brain to envision the piccy in three dimensions.
Extremely irritating at times.

Probably something to do with having had such appalling eyesight from since I was very young.

Cheers - Phil

Or you may just be normal, given the number of people who complain about Ikea instructions and the like?

How's your sense of direction?  ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

fred.

My eldest daughter always struggled with Lego instructions - and I think this was to do with 2d instructions for a 3D shape.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

Quote from: fsn on 28 June 2020, 09:21:02 AM
or ... if it is an eye problem it may be  stereo blindness?

I dunno, Nobby.... :-\ (I'll look that up.  :))

I would say that I'm probably way better than average at sussing out distances....up to 700-800 metres/yards
I really could probably beat most of you, if it was a case of "How far is that away ?".... and get the distance within 10-20 yards., at that range.

(That's as much to do with playing golf*, as anything else.)

Cheers - Phil

(* which I can't do anymore....Frigged disks, and the 'narnia'  :'( :'( :'( ;))

Last Hussar

Dyspraxia?
Quotea brain-based motor disorder. It affects fine and gross motor skills, motor planning, and coordination.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

fred.

Dyspraxia would seem unlikely for someone who sculpts tiny figures for a living.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Heedless Horseman

There are so many difficulties that many have to overcome or just live with. :(

Now, this is pure speculation with no factual basis or research...but...I wonder if, in some children, there may be a sudden moment in 'experience' when the brain just 'Locks' onto something..." Ah...THAT is how it SHOULD be!" And they may be stuck with that.. with learning/adjusting/re-training becoming a 'problem' that they do not want...and therefore, difficult? It certainly happens with animals such as Dogs and Horses...and, to an extent, with 'Adults'!  ;)

It is just a thought, but many child's picture books have 'Flat' illustrations. They are easier for a young mind to recognise...but, are also cheaper to illustrate...and more 'appropriate' to small children. Is it possible that simple, Flat images could become 'normal' at some point in development? With adjustment to 3D a difficulty?

This could be absolute crap! ;D However, back in the 60's ... (from what I REMEMBER!), a lot of books for small children had well illustrated pictures. Think:  Beatrix Potter, Enid Blyton and old Ladybird books, etc.! The 70's seemed to change to a 'simple' illustration style in many instances.  As an older small child, I was praised for MY drawings showing 'perspective'...which I attributed, (AT THE TIME!), to MY reading some of the 'better drawn' 'War' comics eg. 'The Victor!' LOL! (Sadly, I never progressed, lol.).

With the advent of modern  'computer' games, things could have changed again...with 'perspective and 3 dimensional movement'... though,  I rather hate to thing what V.R could do to a mind.  :o

I hope that this does not offend anyone, and, as I say, there is no 'fact' to it...but, just wondering?
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Techno

You may well have something there.

I'll give you a 'silly' example of how I might struggle.

Leon's decided that he wants me to make a new range which have alligator heads. (He hasn't...I'm just making this up.)

In my mind, I can picture the alligator, but if I try and make the model there and then, I'd go completely waffy......So I'd need to find a few pics on the net, that I can keep referring to.
Top view/ side view/ 3/4 view etc, etc.....

Even with these pics in front of me, I'll still struggle to comprehend how I need to proportion the head in 3D......And I know I shouldn't.
It might look spot on from the side...straight away....but I'll be lucky not to have to mess around a few times from this point on.

Can get very frustrating, at times.

Give me a decent model of said alligator as a reference...and I'll barely have any trouble at all in 'copying' it to what ever scale is needed.....Go figure !  ;)

Cheers - Phil :)

FierceKitty

So get a real one, you silly man. America's full of them.
I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

No dont - Wales has enough dangerous animals with all the big cats wonderinmg around.

When are the alligators commimg out Phil, same time as the ducks ?   :P
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 29 June 2020, 07:17:07 AM
You may well have something there.

Leon's decided that he wants me to make a new range which have alligator heads. (He hasn't...I'm just making this up.)

In my mind, I can picture the alligator, but if I try and make the model there and then, I'd go completely waffy......So I'd need to find a few pics on the net, that I can keep referring to.

Even with these pics in front of me, I'll still struggle to comprehend how I need to proportion the head in 3D......And I know I shouldn't.
It might look spot on from the side...straight away....but I'll be lucky not to have to mess around a few times from this point on.

Give me a decent model of said alligator as a reference...and I'll barely have any trouble at all in 'copying' it to what ever scale is needed.....Go figure !  ;)

Again, I think this may be normal: think of the need for anatomical models and actual cadavers for doctors and dentists: the best anatomical drawings in the world can't give you a feel for the full three dimensionality of a body and how it all fits together.

I'm sure, as someone who's very familiar with horses and dogs, you'd find them straightforward to sculpt because you know how they feel in 3D.  Alligators, less so  ;)

You must remember, as a photographer, how sometimes you get a perfectly decent picture of someone and yet can't recognise who it is just "because"!
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

fsn

As a young man I took a course in Geometric and Engineering Drawing. Part of the course was converting a 3/4 view of a vehicle into side and front elevations.

I think this helped my "eye". Pity it's not the "eye" I use for painting.  :(
Lord Oik of Runcorn (You may refer to me as Milord Oik)

Oik of the Year 2013, 2014; Prize for originality and 'having a go, bless him', 2015
3 votes in the 2016 Painting Competition!; 2017-2019 The Wilderness years
Oik of the Year 2020; 7 votes in the 2021 Painting Competition
11 votes in the 2022 Painting Competition (Double figures!)
2023 - the year of Gerald:
2024 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!

Duke Speedy of Leighton

When teaching 3d shapes and theory of nets to kids, I always get them to pick up the imaginary shape, turn it, unfold it etc...

There is a theory there are 3 types of learners, visual (needs to see), auditory (needs to hear) and kinaesthetic (needs to hold).

Most people are a combination of two factors. Most boys are visual kinaesthetic, which is why talking at them in a lesson with no other input is bad news.
Most girls are auditory visual learners, see it and listen to it

I was tested and came out as auditory kinaesthetic. Needs to listen to music and take it apart at the same time (nightmare fiddler in class, but always got the answer) probably explains why I prefer to paint with the radio on, which Mrs D cant stand, she's visual kinaesthetic, while Mrs D works on her sewing with the tv on, I can't cope with visual distractions)
You may refer to me as: Your Grace, Duke Speedy of Leighton.
2016 Pendraken Painting Competion Participation Prize  (Lucky Dip Catagory) Winner

Steve J

Having worked in the design industry, there are some people that can easily translate a 2D image into a 3D model (such as myself), with others that couldn't do it their life depended on it; graphics designer being a case in point. Our son who is autistic is a visual learner pure and simple. Any other ways of learning simply do not work for him.

Heedless Horseman

Quote from: Techno on 29 June 2020, 07:17:07 AM

Sounds pretty normal to me.  :)
I once tried to carve some pre-Dreadnought ship hulls from balsa. Plan outline fine but once I tried to do the side elevations...scrap, scrap, scrap. Getting both views to 'marry' just didn't work out.
Vaguely remember some early 1/76 AFV scratch builds from mags..."now we have the hull, just carve and sand down the turret from balsa wood sawn to rough shape..."!  ;D ;D ;D

With figures  :o :o :o I can imagine that getting the 'right' look from one aspect would be fine...turn it...and , maybe also fine, but it will snap!!! And, trying to work to a constant scale in 10mm...'scale creep' is there for a reason! LOL. You know we appreciate your work, so don't get cut up about it!  ;)
Rather think that 'classical statue sculptors' may have worked from a 'sketch' but had live models brought in to 'play' with  :d :d !
(40 Yrs ago. I should have been an Angry Young Man... but wasn't.
Now... I am an Old B******! )  ;)

Steve J

Sculpting is a skill in itself and whilst I can make models with my eyes shut as it were, I can't sculpt to save my life!