Tell Techno.

Started by Techno, 22 August 2018, 01:30:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Techno

Today's question, Gang.

Can you plug in two monitor screens to a PC ?

I want to put a second one right in front of my desk, if that's feasible.....Would save having to keep getting up and looking at reference material.....Then going back to the desk.

Cheers- Phil

Last Hussar

Yes.

Do you want it to display the same as the first? If so a simple splitter will work. Otherwise you might need additional hardware.
I have neither the time or the crayons to explain why you are wrong.

GNU PTerry

Techno

The same, LH.....Thanks. :)

So, I need another screen and a 'splitter'.....(Cue Life of Brian quotes.)

Cheers - Phil

fred.

While this will work from a technical point of view, I suspect you might find it just as annoying to have to get up to go over to the PC to use the mouse and keyboard to change things.

I'd either move the whole PC over. Or look to get a tablet - there are some very cheap ones out there that might not cost you more than a second monitor will. Have a look at the Kindle Fire range - they would certainly be good enough for browsing reference materials.
2011 Painting Competition - Winner!
2012 Painting Competition - 2 x Runner-Up
2016 Painting Competition - Runner-Up!
2017 Paint-Off - 3 x Winner!

My wife's creations: Jewellery and decorations with sparkle and shine at http://www.Etsy.com/uk/shop/ISCHIOCrafts

Techno

It should be fine, Forbes.

I usually only refer to one piccy at a time...so I wouldn't need to keep getting up and changing things.

Thanks  :-bd - Phil :)

Orcs

If you also bought a wireless keyboard and mouse you could use them at your desk
The cynics are right nine times out of ten. -Mencken, H. L.

Life is not a matter of holding good cards, but of playing a poor hand well. - Robert Louis Stevenson

Techno

Hmmmm.....I've already got a wireless mouse.

Thanks, Mark.  :)

Cheers - Phil

O Dinas Powys

Quote from: Techno on 28 October 2019, 12:57:21 PM
The same, LH.....Thanks. :)

So, I need another screen and a 'splitter'.....(Cue Life of Brian quotes.)

Cheers - Phil

Check the back of your PC first though, some come with two monitor ports so you might be lucky ;)
(I know, even though it's fantasy  :o  ;)  )

Techno

Thanks, Meirion. :)

Cheers - Phil

Techno

Answer me this, Chums.

I often watch old WWII series on the Yesterday channel.....and there's one thing that my eyes simply refuse to believe.

The size of the bore on 'big guns'.

One of the progs recently was showing old footage of 88mm guns/Anti aircraft guns in action.....Then we went to a museum where they showed a restored (?) example of said gun.
My eyes simply could not accept that 'the hole in the end' was 88mm in diameter.

It looked  60mm at the absolute most.

Is it just a trick of perspective ?..... seeing said gun on a TV screen, where you don't really get the idea of the overall size of the gun....Or do 'they' alter the end of the barrel so there would be no way of ever using the gun, in anger, again ?

This has been bugging me for some time...So feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers - Phil

FierceKitty

I don't drink coffee to wake up. I wake up to drink coffee.

steve_holmes_11

Quote from: Techno on 14 November 2019, 07:16:14 AM
Answer me this, Chums.

I often watch old WWII series on the Yesterday channel.....and there's one thing that my eyes simply refuse to believe.

The size of the bore on 'big guns'.

One of the progs recently was showing old footage of 88mm guns/Anti aircraft guns in action.....Then we went to a museum where they showed a restored (?) example of said gun.
My eyes simply could not accept that 'the hole in the end' was 88mm in diameter.

It looked  60mm at the absolute most.

Is it just a trick of perspective ?..... seeing said gun on a TV screen, where you don't really get the idea of the overall size of the gun....Or do 'they' alter the end of the barrel so there would be no way of ever using the gun, in anger, again ?

This has been bugging me for some time...So feedback would be appreciated.

Cheers - Phil

It's an optical illusion caused by the bore being a smaller dark disk centred on a larger paler disk.

Westmarcher

14 November 2019, 09:15:03 AM #207 Last Edit: 14 November 2019, 09:22:19 AM by Westmarcher
I've noticed that, too, on a 30mm Rarden gun on a Scimitar light tank

.... and a Luger ..... mind you, that may have been a water pistol ....  :-\
I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.

Techno

Quote from: steve_holmes_11 on 14 November 2019, 08:55:20 AM
It's an optical illusion caused by the bore being a smaller dark disk centred on a larger paler disk.

Many thanks, Steve.....That makes a lot of sense.  :-bd

Quote from: Westmarcher on 14 November 2019, 09:15:03 AM
I've noticed that, too, on a 30mm Rarden gun on a Scimitar light tank
.... and a Luger ..... mind you, that may have been a water pistol ....  :-\

Strange you should say that, Davy  ;).....I have definite problems in 'seeing' certain handguns firing 9mm diameter 'slugs'....The barrel doesn't look anywhere 'fat' enough, to cope with that.
Mind you....My Luger was a 'cap' gun from 50+years ago..so it was probably a good 80% copy of the 'real thing'.
The only real guns I've ever had contact with have been a .303 (?)  and the .22 air-rifle that I still use to exterminate vermin.

Oh....And a 12 bore shotgun that nearly broke my collarbone, with the recoil. ('Cos I wasn't holding it properly)
And of course the decommissioned Bren....Good grief, that was a heavy sod. (For one of my build, anyway. ;))

Cheers - Phil :)

Lord Kermit of Birkenhead

THe bren - it be only nineteen of your obsolescent pounds Phil
FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF
Lord Kermit of Birkenhead
Muppet of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021