Pendraken Miniatures Forum
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
17 September 2019, 09:44:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We've released an excellent V1 Launch ramp!
283900 Posts in 16922 Topics by 2189 Members
Latest Member: MartinKnight1333
* Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  Pendraken Miniatures Forum
|-+  Wider Wargaming
| |-+  Genre/Period Discussion (Moderators: mad lemmey, Techno)
| | |-+  Tell Techno.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Tell Techno.  (Read 14004 times)
Techno
Count

« Reply #180 on: 02 July 2019, 05:12:28 PM »

OK...... Smiley

Davy (Westie)....The bigger one in the clip....Could  be. Undecided....Tho' the fuselage I saw looked a fair bit more 'stretched' and 'thin'...and it was so slow and relatively quiet....and so I assumed it had props, because of the fact it didn't scare the 'poop' out of our sheep and the outside horses as it flew over so low.

I've seen F-16s, 17s, 1001s (whatever  Wink) do practice strafing runs at one of the farms 'across' the road......That was fun watching them 'bomb' Val and Eddies's farm as they looped up and down 'the valley'

The Hercules that Martin (?) has linked to is roughly the right shape, apart from the very front, around the cockpit, which looked more streamlined. (Is the Hercules the one in 'Westie's' clip ?)

DAMN !....I wished I'd had the camera, and taken a piccy. I don't want to see

Is the sea range still used off Aberporth?  What do they use to tow the targets?

Meirion....I didn't know there was anything there ! Wink

Yours in frustration.....Phil.

FSN IS an oik...I wonder when he'll change his signature again . :-)
Techno....AND STILL.....The most picked on member of the forum since 2011
Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #181 on: 02 July 2019, 06:08:40 PM »

Citizen, The Computer has identified what you saw as a weather balloon. The Computer is your friend! ... Do you doubt The Computer? Report for Termination, Citizen.

Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #182 on: 02 July 2019, 10:13:30 PM »

Grin Grin Grin   Like it (especially the 'swamp gas' one)!

The Hercules that Martin (?) has linked to is roughly the right shape, apart from the very front, around the cockpit, which looked more streamlined. (Is the Hercules the one in 'Westie's' clip ?)

Link to the Hercules:-

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/c-130j-hercules/

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Ithoriel
Lieutenant General

« Reply #183 on: 02 July 2019, 11:30:32 PM »

Slow and quiet sounds way more like a drone than a Hercules if it was as low as you say. A Herkybird is biiiiig and noisy and normally tooling about at around 28,000ft.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is entirely optional!
Techno
Count

« Reply #184 on: 03 July 2019, 07:04:24 AM »

Not that I've ever seen a drone....except on the TV.....My perception is that it was too big for a drone, Mike.

From the Pics that Davy gave a link to......I think it must have been a Hercules, and I just didn't look carefully enough, to take everything in.....I was just so gobsmacked at how low it was.

Thanks Guys !  Smiley

(I saw a 'weather balloon' once, when waiting in a traffic queue, near Newark. This really bright ball of light streaking across the sky, at high altitude !.....What on earth ?.......Then the sun stopped reflecting off the object........And it turned into a plane !  Grin Grin Grin......Of course it could have bee a 'UFO' switching on stealth technology.  Wink)

Cheers - Phil

mmcv
Major

« Reply #185 on: 03 July 2019, 07:45:26 AM »

Sometimes those really really big planes can look much closer than they actually are given the size and perspective.
Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #186 on: 03 July 2019, 09:17:19 AM »

The RAF's got a spiffy 3d image of their new A400 on their website that you can 'fly' by clicking and dragging. The Herc is getting old and will eventually be replaced by this plane. [click on "View 3D mOdel]

https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-a400m/  Cool

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
Techno
Count

« Reply #187 on: 03 July 2019, 10:09:27 AM »

The RAF's got a spiffy 3d image of their new A400 on their website that you can 'fly' by clicking and dragging. The Herc is getting old and will eventually be replaced by this plane. [click on "View 3D mOdel]
https://www.raf.mod.uk/aircraft/atlas-a400m/  Cool

Now, that's more like how I remember the cockpit area, Davy......But it seems a tad too 'short', perspective wise.....I 'want to stretch it' nose to tail, so the fuselage appears slimmer.

Sometimes those really really big planes can look much closer than they actually are given the size and perspective.

This could very well be true, 'M'.......I mean.....If my eyes weren't deceiving me...(which they probably were).....I really can't see how it didn't smack into the ridge, above me.

I really must take the camera out with me more often !

Thanks again, chaps - Phil

ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #188 on: 03 July 2019, 10:11:13 AM »

You not got a smart phone ?

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019
Techno
Count

« Reply #189 on: 03 July 2019, 11:10:53 AM »

Here ? Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

No....Not remotely worth it to have a decent smart phone, Ian...(and you can extract the urine on this point, and I won't throw another wobbly.)

At Techno Towers we have direct line of sight to a 300 foot mast on the ridge opposite.....about half a mile distant, on the other side of 'the valley'.

As far as a TV signal is concerned......We're (apparently) too close. Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked.......Eh ? What ?.......But the TV works fine.

You can't get a decent signal for a mobile phone, unless you drive half way to the local village......When you're 'up high', and pick up a signal from another mast.

Cheers - Phil

Westmarcher
Brigadier

Sir Oik of Westmarch

« Reply #190 on: 03 July 2019, 03:21:27 PM »

I really must take the camera out with me more often !

Yes. Please do. And if you get lucky, you might just catch the right bird (and if you do, please be sure to post some pictures) .... Cheesy Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Cg_xa8CEpA

[hint: 3.17]

« Last Edit: 03 July 2019, 03:23:30 PM by Westmarcher » Logged

lowlylowlycook
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #191 on: 03 July 2019, 03:50:09 PM »

Is it possible to use WiFi to make calls on a cellphone in the UK?
ianrs54
Playtester
Lieutenant General

« Reply #192 on: 03 July 2019, 04:24:37 PM »

In some(most) places. Most of Wales and lagre bits of Scotlad have large granite lumps in them which are death to phone signals of any type.

IanS

FOG IN CHANNEL - EUROPE CUT OFF HURRAY

Muppet of the year 2019
jimduncanuk
Lieutenant Colonel

« Reply #193 on: 03 July 2019, 05:30:48 PM »

In some(most) places. Most of Wales and lagre bits of Scotlad have large granite lumps in them which are death to phone signals of any type.

IanS

Yeah, isn't great when you go up north you get so much peace and quiet.

My Ego forbids a signature.
Techno
Count

« Reply #194 on: 03 July 2019, 05:39:11 PM »

I don't think it's that, so much, Ian.....It's just that there are huge areas out here where there are so few folk around....That the 'providers' don't bother...Because they won't get the revenue.

Is it possible to use WiFi to make calls on a cellphone in the UK?

Probably...But not near Techno Towers. Grin Grin Grin Grin

Yes. Please do. And if you get lucky, you might just catch the right bird (and if you do, please be sure to post some pictures) .... Cheesy Wink

Don't get anything like that on the ridge behind us, Davy.  Wink

Cheers - Phil

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: